Viewing: 1-16 of 16
Corax

Corax - Apr 12, 2005 8:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Strange place. Beautiful! Nice page.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Apr 12, 2005 8:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Wow! Strange place! Looks like Prof. Challenger's dinosaur-filled plateau in ThE LOST WORLD.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Apr 12, 2005 10:12 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Very Kool and Klenktastic!

mtwashingtonmonroe

mtwashingtonmonroe - Apr 12, 2005 10:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Very cool mountain and an awesome page! Nice job!

-Britt

Lee Stamm

Lee Stamm - Apr 12, 2005 10:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice job, Paul. Passed by there just a couple of days after you were there. Good photos, too. The area around Steamboat Rock and the north end of Banks Lake is unique in Washington, with the mix of waterscape, basalt cliffs, and granite basement rocks. Reminds me a little of the Colorado Plateau region.

Saintgrizzly

Saintgrizzly - Apr 13, 2005 1:22 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Very nice page!

Anyone interested in the truly monumental, epoch-making floods coming out of Glacial Lake Missoula would do well to check out David Alt's well-written book Glacial Lake Missoula, which should be readily available at bookstores throughout the Northwest (and online). From what I've read, the "Missoula Floods" may well be the most cataclysmic floods of all time (at least that we know about), and were responsible for much of the sculpting of the Columbia basin, all the way back into Northwestern Montana. Anyway, it's interesting stuff--those floods were on a destructive/creative scale almost beyond belief!

Klenke

Klenke - Apr 13, 2005 4:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Cool. How about adding that book to the Books link for me? You should be able to find it online.

Thanks for the vote and the info.

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Apr 13, 2005 1:39 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Hear, hear!



...the view won't look real good as you're accelerating to your death...



I like that one. I should put up a database with memorable Klenke phrases. This one would be high on the list...

wuedesau

wuedesau - Apr 13, 2005 7:19 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great page!!!

EastKing

EastKing - Apr 13, 2005 9:27 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page.

Scott

Scott - Apr 13, 2005 10:33 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Although there are many Steamboat Rocks as you said, this is the only one on Summit Post! (I looked). I hope to climb the one in Moffat County, Colorado. It is in Dinosaur NM and looks really cool (5th class), but you have to swim or boat the Yampa River to get to it. Maybe sometime this summer of fall.



Steamboat Rock out my way

Don Nelsen

Don Nelsen - Apr 16, 2005 7:17 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice job on an interesting area. Surprising that the other "steamboats" aren’t up on SP, especially the one by Mt. Adams. That's a pretty neat one too.



Here's an interesting link on the ice age floods. I've studied this for years since Bretz's theory was just beginning to get acceptance and recognition when I was in college and my geomorphology prof was a big fan of his. Portland is full of evidence of the floods, too - in fact, the first 5 miles or so of I-84 follows a sinuous channel carved by the floods.



dn

Klenke

Klenke - Apr 19, 2005 11:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the typo alert. And thanks for the flood link.

Dave K - May 21, 2005 5:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice entry! There are some wonderful canyons and bluffs in that part of Washington. I used to live in Pullman.

Kenzo Okawa

Kenzo Okawa - Aug 11, 2005 8:07 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice photos! Thanks for posting!

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Oct 28, 2005 9:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Hmm, had I noticed that you put up this one before, I would have said something when you charged Mr. Nelsen with having all the small peaks. :- )

Viewing: 1-16 of 16
Return to 'Steamboat Rock' main page