The Choir Boy (5.8)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.8 (YDS)
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Located in Big Cottonwood Canyon, the Choir Boy is a 5.8 sport climb that is somewhat advanced in nature. Due to the Choir Boy's close proximity to the Big Cottonwood Highway, this climb is very popular with climbers, sight see'ers and photographers. The Choir Boy offers unique views of Sundial Peak and lower Big Cottonwood Canyon. These views combined with great and diverse routes makes this place a mad house on weekends. However have faith, for there is usually enough routes to disperce the crowds. Overall if you like your sport climbing with a some "vista" on the side this is the place for you.
The Choir BoyMe on the Choir Boy
The Choir BoyJason on the Choir Boy

Getting There

Head up Big Cottonwood Canyon till you hit the S-Curves. Park in the paved parking lot that is in the middle of the S-Curves.
The Choir BoyMe on the Choir Boy
The Sundial from the Choir BoyMill B South from the base of the Choir Boy
A 7 year old girl on the Choir Boy A 7 year old girl on the Choir Boy

Route Description

Start heading uphill to Mill B North (you should cross the highway) and head up the stairs. When the stairs end start looking up canyon till the cliffs come into view. Traverse along these cliffs for just a couple of minutes and several routes will come into view. The most obvious routes have so much chalk dug into the rock that you can see the "white routes" from space.
The Choir BoyCarthic on the Choir Boy



Geography
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.