Static Wall & Reservoir Alcove

Static Wall & Reservoir Alcove

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.61940°N / 111.7874°W
Additional Information Route Type: Sport, Trad - Single/Multi-Pitch
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.4-5.13a
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Drive 2.85 miles up from the neon sign. You can either park on one of the pullouts on the right side of the road, or park in the Storm Mountain picnic ground ($4.00) on the left side of the road. The entrance says that it costs $2 to use the area for any reason, but I'm not sure if this applies to climbers rather than just picnickers. The host has never said anything as I've walked by, and I've never seen climbers paying fees.

Static Wall: After crossing the bridge, you can see a ridge rising above the trees across from a clearing. This is Reservoir Ridge. You can either approach this ridge and follow the cliff base to Static Wall, or pick your way across the clearing directly to its base.

Reservoir Alcove:
From here, walk across a bridge that crosses a stream. To access the Reservoir area, pick your way up some trails that take you to an old concrete barrier that extends out from the reservoir spillway. Follow this wall to the shady base of Reservoir Ridge. I'm calling the alcove to the right the Reservoir Alcove for lack of a known official name.

Area Description


These are popular climbing areas due to their shady bottoms and proximity to the Storm Mountain picnic ground. Static Wall has steep and physically challenging routes while the Reservoir Alcove has easy sport and trad climbs.

Another nice thing about climbing here is that if a route is taken, one needs only to walk a couple of minutes to look for free routes on the cliffs across the field to the west or south, such as Storm Mountain Island.

ROUTES OVERVIEW
Route Difficulty Rating FA Trad/Sport
Storm Mountain Falls Mixed - ?? Unknown NA
Transformer 5.8 1994, Brian Smoot & Sam Carter Sp
Spinning In The Drain 5.13a 1988, Stuart Ruckman Sp
All Static And No Dynamic 5.11d 1987, Merrill Bitter Sp
Reservoir Ridge 5.4 Unknown Tr
Reservoir Wall Left 5.5? Unknown Sp
Reservoir Wall Middle 5.5? Unknown Sp
Reservoir Wall Right 5.5? Unknown Sp
Alcove Wall ?? Unknown Sp
Note: The last four routes are just ones that I have seen, but are not covered in guidebooks. As such, the names are mine. I'll try to dig up info and/or climb them later
Route overview information used from Stuart & Bret Ruckman's Rock Climbing the Wasatch Range. In depth information is from personal experience


Static Wall & Reservoir Ridge


Reservoir Alcove


Transformer - 5.8


This is a steep, pumpy 5.8. There are a few overhangs and vertical climbing, but the holds, while slick, are also bomber. This is physical climbing with widely spaced bolts.

Reservoir Ridge - 5.4


This is a good ridge to practice leading on. In my opinion, its not stellar, but still an interesting route. This route is 3 pitches, but they can be linked into 2 pitches.

Pitch #1: (5.4) Begin at the base of the ridge by a fallen log and climb straight up. There aren't really any places for pro here, but don't despair as there is an occasional bolt. Stay on the west end of the arete and soon some bolted chains are reached. If you have a 60m rope, you can probably clip it and keep climbing, making your belay at the end of Pitch #2.

Pitch #2: (5.4) Bolts become more sparse and you must rely more on pro that you place yourself. At one point a wall is reached. DO NOT traverse around the left side of the wall on an appealing looking ledge. Instead, climb up to the right of it and out onto the Reservoir Wall. Its easier than it looks and placements for pro can be found here. Traverse over and up on the face, and beyond a wide crack and a large flat ledge there are some chains. Climb just past these to another ledge on the arete and set up your belay here.

Pitch #3: (4th-low 5th) Climb up the remaining spine to the ridge's junction with a large wall. Its hard to set up a belay here - I used a combination of scrub and stones.

Descent: Apparently there is a class 3-4 descent to the west. Down-climb cracks and ramps with some exposure. DO NOT descend to the east.

Essential Gear


These routes are mostly sport and as such, only some slings and quickdraws are needed. For Reservoir Ridge, I used my smallest nut and largest hex, and other pieces in between.

Other Info


If you have additional info for routes described or have done a route not described in depth, please put the info here and I'll integrate it into the page!


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.