The Cobra (5.11R)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.72080°N / 109.3033°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.11 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This route is considered by many to be a Fisher Tower classic, although it seems that there are quite a few of these in the area. The name aptly describes the seriousness of the route as it looks very unstable and has some scary moves. All the same, the rock is not terrible quality and there is something alluring about the danger and the possibility of standing on top of the cobra's head. Be careful and have a good mind before doing this route, there is no shame in backing off either! Climb smart.
Cobra in the Shade'The Cobra' peaking its head out in the shade. This shot is taken on the way to 'Ancient Art'.


Getting There

Getting here is pretty easy, and due the to the unique nature of the tower, it is fairly easy to spot. Get to the Fisher Towers, (from Moab head north on the River Road(SH 128) past Castle Valley to the Fisher Towers turnoff sign(about 27 miles). Drive to the parking lot at the end of the well maintained gravel road.)Once at the parking lot, follow the trail for Ancient Art and you will pass right by The Cobra.
Staring the CobraRacking up and getting mentally prepared at the base of 'The Cobra'.

The Cobra is the wild short tower along the approach path to Ancient Art. How on earth is this thing still standing? Well named-it looks exactly like a hooded cobra rearing up to strike(which is appropriate considering the seriousness of the route).

Route Description

Crux of the Cobra (5.11R)Pulling the crux move to the only fixed pro on the route.
There is only one pitch which starts at the north side below some obvious cracks. The cracks are pretty easy (5.7ish) and accept a little pro. Do an awkward mantle with some decent holds at the conglomerate band just below the large ledge. From here you can put in a few peices in the large crack (a #3C4 or a large hex) or sling the neck of the cobra. Most likely nothing will hold, so this is for a peice of mind at this point. Pull some hard moves to clip the only fixed piton but be careful! The piton would most likely not hold very big falls. From here figure out a tricky sequence or make a large move to the lip of the cobra and mantle to the top where there are some lowering anchors.


Essential Gear

Not too much. I threw in a #2 camalot in the bottom crack system and a #3 and Hex just below the large ledge below the piton. I have heard of people slinging the neck of the cobra as well. In all reality, the pro would probably not hold a fall and you should be very very comfortable at this grade when considering leading the route. Be safe and have fun!

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

The CobraRoutes