The Indian Peaks Wilderness

The Indian Peaks Wilderness

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing, Hiking, Wildlife, Flora, Informational, Scenery, Panorama, Water

Introduction

The United States Congress designated the Indian Peaks Wilderness (map) in 1978 and it now has a total of 77,711 acres. All of this wilderness is located in Colorado and is managed by the Forest Service and the National Park Service. The Indian Peaks Wilderness is bordered by the James Peak Wilderness to the south and the Rocky Mountain National Park Wilderness to the north.
Description
The Indian Peaks became part of the National Wilderness Preservation System in 1978. Many of the peaks within the area were named for American Indian tribes of the west. The Wilderness is located primarily within the Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forest. A portion along the northernmost boundary lies within Rocky Mountain National Park. The area stretches approximately 18 miles north/south and 15 miles east/west at it's widest point. Elevations range from 8,300 to just over 13,500 feet. There are a total of seven peaks over 13,000 feet, and approximately 35% of the land area is above treeline. There are 28 maintained trails covering about 133 miles, and over 50 lakes. The icy remains of the last glacial period sculpted out the rugged terrain of the Indian Peaks. Chill winds off perpetual snowfields have created an environment near treeline of stunted trees and alpine plants unusual for this part of the state.
The Indian Peaks is one of the most popular and heavily used Wilderness Areas in the country due to it's close proximity to the Denver/Boulder metro area. Camping permits are required for all individuals during the peak seasons, June 1 - Sept. 15. In addition, permits are required for all organized groups (scouts, hiking clubs etc.) for day use or camping anytime of year. Campfires are prohibited on the east side of the Continental Divide and around most lakes on the west side. Rocky Mountain National Park to the north, also requires backcountry camping permits which can be obtained free of charge.

Practicing Leave No Trace Camping and Hiking Ethics will help protect this beautiful Wilderness Area for future generations.


Pictures



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Sep 5, 2010 9:27 am - Voted 10/10

please attach

the other photos... I have seen them, but in a few days those will be hard to find if not attached.
All photos from Indian Peak Wilderness look amazing.

Senad Rizvanovic

Senad Rizvanovic - Sep 5, 2010 5:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Thank You..

I'm working on it, but busy this weekend, in day or two.

Romuald Kosina

Romuald Kosina - Sep 7, 2010 9:54 am - Voted 10/10

Nice album...

Nice album with rich info!!!
Congrats!!!
Romek

Senad Rizvanovic

Senad Rizvanovic - Sep 8, 2010 11:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice album...

Thanks for looking up and comment!

yatsek

yatsek - Sep 7, 2010 2:40 pm - Voted 10/10

True Wilderness

Great pix.

Senad Rizvanovic

Senad Rizvanovic - Sep 8, 2010 11:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: True Wilderness

Thank You!

Viewing: 1-6 of 6


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.