The Long Trail from Lincoln Gap

The Long Trail from Lincoln Gap

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.12040°N / 72.9363°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1-2
Sign the Climber's Log

Picture from summit looking down at the Long Trail

Caution

Part of the Lincoln Gap Road is closed in winter. Be prepared to add 4 miles roundtrip to your climb up Mt. Abraham or take the Battell Trail.

Approach

VIA LONGS TRAIL IN LINCOLN GAP FROM THE EAST: From Route 100 in Warren, VT in take Lincoln Gap Road. Take the road roughly 5 miles to near the height of land. The trail will be on your right with parking on both sides of the road.

VIA LONGS TRAIL IN LINCOLN GAP FROM THE WEST: From Lincoln take the Lincoln Gap Road east to just over the height of land. The trail will be on your left with parking on both sides of the road.


Route Description

Shot from the summit of Mt....


Longs Trail form Lincoln Gap
Total Roundtrip Distance: 5. 2 miles
ELevation Gain: 1500 ft.


From Lincoln Gap the Long Trail start out with a quick ascent up to near the top of a sub peak before droping back into a small col (0.4 miles). The the trail then begins to ascend at alternating gradual and moderate grades over tree covered and rocky trail. The continues it's gradual to moderate ascent until it reaches the Battell Trail 1.7 mile from Lincoln Gap.

From this section (the last 0.9 miles) on the Long Trail become a much more consistent uphill climb. The trail stay now more consistently a moderate pitch and footing becomes poorer. Within a half mile from the top the trail becomes steeper with a number of small scrambles and some poor footing. About 500 yards from the top lies a class 2 scramble with at best moderate footing. After that scramble the trail continues it climb to the top over first stunted trees and then the bare summit of Mt. Abraham.

Essential Gear

In summer only essential hiking gear is needed. In winter remember to bring crampons and snowshoes due to the fact that this section of Vermont receives a large amount of snowfall.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.