The lookout sits on top of...

The lookout sits on top of...

The lookout sits on top of the highest point of land of Oregon Butte. Funny that they'd call this after the neighbor state rather than say Washington Butte or something.
7-2-03
Dean
on Oct 24, 2004 10:08 pm
Image ID: 75371

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Dennis Poulin

Dennis Poulin - Oct 28, 2004 4:20 pm - Voted 10/10

Oregon Butte

Oregon Butte is named after ugly Washington's beautiful southern neighbor. It must be the most beautiful place in Washington.

Klenke

Klenke - Oct 28, 2004 5:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Oregon Butte

No, it's not spectacular area. The mountain used to be called Oregon Butt.

Dean

Dean - Oct 28, 2004 6:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Oregon Butte

Actually it was originally named "Oregun's Butt" to show our appreciation and honor to our neighbors to the south. We've saved our most spectacular mountains for the areas to the north. Dennis has seen the north cascades and he knows that we have the real mountains and Oregon has the pretend ones.

Scott

Scott - Oct 28, 2004 6:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Oregon Butte

Oregon named Mount Washington, a rotten piece of rock in Oregon to honor their neighbors to the north.

Dean

Dean - Oct 28, 2004 6:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Oregon Butte

And a killer of rotten rock at that. Oregon Butt is so tame it'll only cause ya to get sleepy.

Klenke

Klenke - Oct 28, 2004 7:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Oregon Butte

I must say that I did find the deep canyons cutting off high plateau slopes at the east end of the WA Blues to be quite fantastic. I drove down that way after doing Asotin & Garfield Countys' highpoints. I drove east on FR-43 to Asotin Creek thence to the town of Asotin. Probably better to go down that way than up because you get to look out from the mountainside as you're doing so. To see those little farms tucked away in the narrow canyon was kind of neat.

Dean

Dean - Oct 28, 2004 8:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Oregon Butte

Very true words and nice to hear them for this pretty much unknown area. I know Dennis is going to get pretty excited to get to this area and pick up three more sweet county highpoints.

Dennis Poulin

Dennis Poulin - Oct 29, 2004 1:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Oregon Butte

I'm just tingling with anticipation of climbing anything with the name Oregon attached.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8