The main ridge

The main ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 49.12000°N / 19.58500°E
Additional Information Route Type: hike
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach



From chalet in Pieciu Stawów Polskich Valley (how to get here see the main page of Velké Kopy). It is the most popular variant of Velké Kopy’ main ridge.

Attension! by the way you cross illegally Polish-Slovakian border! but in the winter it is no problem :) Remember only to come back to Poland by mountains, too!


Route Description



Take the blue-marked trail leading on Zawrat Pass and follow it to the place where this trail turns distinctly right (north). Here leave the trail and go through scree to the foot of slope falling down from Gladka Pass. Climb up by this slope on the pass (in the winter take the left side).

From the pass take the red-marked trail and follow it, traversing Gladki Wierch / Hladký Ští, on Zavory / Zawory. Here begins the main ridge of Velké Kopy. Follow it through summits and passes listed on the main page (there are no orienting or technical problems by the way) – see map, on Križ / Krzyzne Liptowskie.

Here turn left (east) and follow a wide ridge on Malé Križe / Male Krzyzne Liptowskie and next still following the ridge through a mountain pine (pinus mugo) to a forest. Next go down still in the same direction (no path), near the ridge, cross a distinct transversally forest route until an opening (Koniarcisko) near by a saddle (since entry to the forest you must lower about 200m). Here turn right (south-west) and go down by a bottom of little valley to main branch of Tichá Cicha Valley. When you reach a yellow-marked trail turn left (south) and follow the trail to Podbanské.


Essential Gear


Normal hiking gear. In winter: crampons, ice-axe. Ski or snowshoes are very useful.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.