The Rocks Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.61410°N / 115.974°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mixed, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Ascending 570 feet in 1/5 of a mile, The Rocks Route on Cervidae cuts through the obvious area of rock on the west face of the peak.  Although the route is crumbly and contains loose rocks, it provides some class 3 scrambling in a steep environment amongst  solid rock fins up to 30 feet tall.  The route is direct, yet it reaches the ridge well south and short of the true summit.  When snow has accumulated on these slopes, this route is a decent mixed climb that could require ice-ax and cramp-ons.  Solid ice can also be found most years in the darkest slots of the Rocks Route, but not enough to warrant too much excitement about ice climbing it.  

In the Gulley-Cervidae

For this route, park 1 mile past the High Bridge and Arrowrock turnoff.  There are many turnouts near here.  Look up at the route from this point and the rocky outcropping is clearly visible.  Follow the gulley leading up to the base of the rocks, as marked on the USGS map as shaded green.  Fires have ravaged these slopes, so the vegetation is limited and this section of the gulley contains mostly medium sized dead Ponderosas.  From the base of the rocks area, a healthy Ponderosa sits beneath the first cliff band.  Follow the main gulley as it divides and divides, but continue to stay within the center for the most challenging scramble.  Small sections of solid rock are mixed with very loose areas. Nearly any time you can bail out of the gulley by obtaining the ridges.  The gulley toward the top is most impressive and solid, as the surrounding fins rise 30 feet ins some spots.  Once above the rocky area, follow the main ridgeline and regular route to the summit.  Descending down this gulley is not recommended as you can follow the regular route with a variation back down to where you started.  For added difficulty try this route with snow on the ground or try ascending the fins on your way up.  

Rocks Route

Rocks Route (West Gulley) (Class3)- mostly class 1-2 scramble with some Class 3 in the gulley.  The Gulley is the steepest part of the mountain and is subtly shown on the map as the area with the tightest contours in this vicinity.

Special Notes:  This area is frequented by hunters, so be wary when hiking.  This area is deemed as prime Elk and Deer habitat, near a major confluence of rivers, and one of the closest area's to Boise for getting out.  The good news is that there is no jeep road, forest road, or ATV trail going to the summit.  This is a rarity for this region.

Rocks Route from the start






Table of Contents
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.