Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.70640°N / 121.9722°W
Additional Information Elevation: 7362 ft / 2244 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


The Twins is a two-peaked volcano in the central Oregon Cascades. It offers awesome views of the major Cascades from Mt. Jefferson down to Mt. Thielsen. It's bigger sister, Maiden Peak is 3 to 4 miles to the south and is a popular hike. The great thing about the Twins is that you get the same views on an easier hike with no crowd. For some reason this summit hike is not very well-known.

The Twins is a geologically recent cinder cone with fir and hemlock forests, lots of large rock ridges and outcroppings and a grassy meadow in the summit crater. The Twins got its name from the way a gap in the crater rim left two summits. The South Twin is the higher of the two.

The trail goes to the North Twin summit and continues along the east rim until it climbs up to the South Twin summit. There is a great view of Diamond Peak, the nearest major Cascade peak, to the southwest.

Getting There


From the west (Eugene area), take Highway 58 to the Waldo Lake turnoff (3 miles west of the Willamette Pass). Turn left and head north on Road 5897 for just over 6 miles to the Twin Peaks Trail sign. It's on the right side of the road and is set parallel to the road so you really can't see it until you drive right past it, just be looking for it. You can pull off the road onto a small dirt parking area at the trailhead.

From the east, take Highway 58 to three miles west of the Willamette Pass and follow the same directions from there.

Red Tape


No permit is required to hike there but you need a Northwest Forest Pass to park at the trailhead. There are signs to remind you, don't worry. No fires are allowed in this area of the wilderness.

When To Climb


This climb is done usually July through October as the roads are generally closed due to snow the other times. But if there is no snow it appears possible to hike here year-round.

Camping


There is no sign at the trailhead that states camping is allowed on this trail but there is a campsite in the saddle between the two summits so it appears to be fine to camp here.

In addition, a few miles north is Charlton Lake with camping as well as Waldo Lake with lots of camping.

Mountain Conditions


Middle Fork Ranger District
46375 Highway 58
Westfir, OR 97492
(541) 782-2283

fax (541) 782-5306









Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Willamette pass areaMountains & Rocks