Them are Internet Papers: Spruce Knob, WV

Them are Internet Papers: Spruce Knob, WV

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 3, 2001

Spruce Knob, WV, 4,863 ft. – September 3, 2001, HP #2 of the 50 US State Highpoints

Striking out on Smoke Hole Canyon, we decided to head south west twenty plus miles from Seneca Rocks over to Spruce Knob located in the Monongahela Forest.  Our group of three had gotten up early this Monday, Labor Day 2001, to begin the drive west from Arlington, Virginia to West Virginias most known natural landmark namely Seneca Rocks. Spruce Knob was just a back-up plan in case we had extra time.

Route 66 took us seventy-five miles to where it meets, I-81 and US-48 passing by Front Royal along the way.   This three-way intersection at Strasburg requires about one-third of the three and a half hour, 180 mile drive.  After another sixteen miles on US-48 we entered the state of West Virginia, and thirty miles into West Virginia we turned south onto  highway 220 following that highway and eventually WV-28 to Seneca Rocks. The drive from the VA/WV border was like traveling along the curved body of a snake, with its many twists and turns, and so upon arrival we were all very eager to get out of the car and begin hiking.

To reach the top of Seneca rocks we used a less traveled route coming up from the back side of the nearly 900 foot tall cliffs found on its face.  The approach gained a significant amount of elevation over a short distance often traveling up natural almost stair-like formations.  Commenting on the natural steps, one of my friends mentioned that we were climbing a “staircase of steps”, and the other two of us laughed and laughed about that, pointing out that obviously a staircase consisted of steps. 

Obtaining the razor back ridge, we ventured past the sign warning us “here ends the realm of the hiker” and informing us that to proceed we should have rock climbing ability.  Approaching the south peak over the sheer drop offs of the face we stopped to watch the rock climbers and to take in the impressive views.

We back tracked to return to our parked car, and after looking over some information one of us had printed from a website about Smoke Hole Canyon we decided to ask some local looking guys about the canyon to see if they could give us better directions.  As the locals were approached, one of them in coveralls, nonetheless, noticed the papers in my friend’s hand, and before directions could be asked for, the local said “I know what them are, them are Internet papers”!  As sharp as he was to recognize “Internet papers” he was of no value in our quest for Smoke Hole Canyon.  At least now we all had something to laugh about in addition to just the two of us laughing at “staircase of steps”.  For years after, and even to this day, I still get a smile on my face, and a chuckle when I think of “Internet papers” as ludicrous as the name is for a printout from a website.

Unable to locate Smoke Hole Canyon, we opted for Spruce Knob. The state high point rises to 4,863 feet and is not only the highest point in West Virginia but also the highest point in the Allegheny Mountains.  The area is known for its strong winds, and the one-sided red spruce trees around the peak bear testimony to that - deformed by constant exposure to strong westerly winds.

Spruce Knob is located along a huge ridge that is part of the Allegheny Front – an escarpment arising in south central Pennsylvania, cutting across western Maryland and into the eastern panhandle of West Virginia dividing it from the rest of that state.  The southern end of the front is a series of ridges one of which contains the Mountain State’s highest point. Part of the crest forms the Eastern Continental Divide.  We were able to drive up to a sizable parking area at the terminus of route 104. 

From the parking lot it is only 900 feet to a stone and steel observation deck at the top of the mountain state.  The observation deck positions visitors above the tree line offering views in all directions, with my favorite being looking toward the east as the crest drops rather sharply at that aspect.  Neither my friends nor I packed around cameras (nor phones with cameras) in those days so I don’t have any photos from my initial visit. However, shy of four years later, at the end of May 2005 I was once again in the Monongahela forest vicinity and I revisited Spruce Knob.  This time I was armed with a camera and took a few shots.

Second time at Spruce Knob -  May 28, 2005
Second time at Spruce Knob - May 28, 2005

The Book

Want more details?  I have published a book about my journey to the highest point of every U.S. state.  The book, All Fifty: My Journey to the Highest Point of Every U.S. State, is available on Amazon.com.

The book: All Fifty: My Journey to the Highest Point of Every U.S. State
The book: All Fifty: My Journey to the Highest Point of Every U.S. State


Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Spruce KnobTrip Reports