Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.37640°N / 118.68081°W
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7200 ft / 2195 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Three Hour Buttress is a distinct brown face on the Southeast corner of Lamb Canyon.  It hosts two multi-pitch routes, Strike Slip, the superb Three Hour Arete (and its 4th pitch Hall Pass variation).

Getting There

From the Hwy. 395/Pine Creek Rd. junction drive approx. 8.3 miles West on Pine Creek Rd. and park at a nice turn out with fine black/brown gravel on the North side of the road (about 200 feet before a creek crossing with metal barriers).  Look for a well worn trail that heads SW from the parking area.  Follow that trail for about 200 feet and turn 90 degrees on an overgrown sand/dirt road/trail.  Pass a small wash and continue on the same road/trail.  Look for a faint trail that branches off to the West and leads toward the base of the buttress (which is visible the entire time).  Scramble up a short 3rd class section at the toe of the buttress to gain the start of the two routes.  Approach time is a leisurely 10 minutes.

Routes

Three Hour Arete 10c - superb 4-pitch crack and face climb, one of the cleanest and best routes in Pine Creek Canyon.
Hall Pass 10c - 4th pitch variation (not shown) to Three Hour Arete: after the crux move at the start of the 4th pitch traverse left across the slab, then continue up along a crack (bolted) and face.
Strike Slip 5.9 - a fine 4-pitch climb, that is not quite as good as Three Hour Arete in terms of aesthetics and rock quality 


Three Hour Buttress
Topo of the stellar Three Hour Arete (10c) and Strike Slip (5.9)


When to Climb

Climbs on Three Hour Buttress are best done in Spring, Fall, or on a warm winter day/cool summer day.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Pine Creek CanyonMountains & Rocks