Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 36.41840°N / 81.589°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Dec 7, 2006
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall

Fun, Fun, Fun...

The View From the Ridge on Three Top


Three Top Mountain caught my attention when I climbed nearby Elk Knob the week before. It looked like a fairly rugged peak from a distance and when I got home and checked out the peak on Topozone I was excited to find a mountain with lots of tightly packed contours. I also found, thanks to the Amphibolite Mountain page, that it was a peak with public access.

I found out quickly why I had never heard of Three Top Mountain. Try doing a search online for it and see what you come up with. I didn't find squat. I finally ended up contacting Peter Larkins, whose Amphibolite Mountain page had originally turned me on to the peak, and he let me in on the tightly guarded secret directions to the peak. Scroll down for that info...
Hikers Not Welcome?"Hunters Parking"
Icy StreamIcy Stream

The trail up Three Top starts from a "Hunters Parking Area" on the far side of a brown steel gate. The first quarter-mile or so was fairly flat. Along this section you will cross three small streams that may or may not be running in dry weather. I took my time and stopped to shoot some photos. Shortly after crossing the third stream the trail makes a sharp right and heads up the ridge. The trail is an old ATV track and is unmarked. Numerous other trails branch off the main one as you ascend but it should be pretty obvious which path is the right one.

For the next quarter mile or so the trail paralleles the afore-mentioned stream up a shallow ravine. Its moderately steep but the trail is wide and smooth, so its pretty easy going. As you get higher up on the ridge the trail makes a series of long switchbacks. Through the trees I could see a rocky peak that I assumed was the summit. Occasionally, the trail would head directly away from it causing me to wonder if I had the right path. I never hike without a map so I guess I was a little over sensitive to the possibility of getting lost. I jsut kept following the main trail and before long I had gained the top of the ridge.
Three Top Trail PanoThe Trail

The trail heads southwest just below the crest of the ridge. For the most part this section of trail is flat until you near the summit. Here and there you can spot pieces of Snow Quartz lying about in the woods. This may be more interesting to some than others, I guess. The last section up to the summit is a bit steep but short.

Tattered FlagSummit Flag
Watch Your StepWatch Your Step
The trail tops out at a sheer drop facing north. What used to be an American flag is attached to a nearby pipe sticking out of the summit rocks. The views from the summit were great but the ridge to the southwest caught my attention. It's very exposed and narrow. It looked fun. There's not much of a path out onto the ridge. You have to fight the scrub a bit at first. Out on the exposed ridge the wind was pretty strong making for some interesting moments. I almost lost my camera taking a couple shots. Scrambling around on the ridge was incredibly fun though. There are not many peaks in the Southern Appalachians with terrain like Three Top has. The views were amazing.

It started clouding up and the wind was really starting to howl so I decided it was time to get back down into the trees. I wanted to get over to the other two "tops" of Three Top Mountain but I couldn't locate any trails heading off in that direction. It would have been a tough bushwhack and I wasn't sure I'd have time so I decided to save it for another trip. The trip down was quick and painless. By the time I reached the parking area some flakes of snow had started to fall.

It was a great hike that I would highly recommend to anyone. The peak looks like it is rarely visited and there is a lot of fun scrambling to be done on the summit ridge. Weather forced me down early so I'm sure there are a number of places I missed. I'll definately be back to do more exporing.

Looking West From Three Top

Getting There...

If the directions below look complicated, don't let it freak you out too badly, it's not as bad as it looks...

Directions to Trailhead:

The odometer readings below start from the intersection of Three Top Road and NC-88 in the little hamlet of Creston, NC.

0.0 miles - Intersection of NC-88 & Three Top Rd. Head south on Three Top Rd.

0.3 miles - Three Top Rd. makes a left turn just after crossing a bridge.

0.8 miles - Turn left onto Eller Rd. Almost immediatley the road splits. Keep going straight. This is Hidden Valley Rd. Head up Hidden Valley Rd. where you will soon pass some "No Tresspassing" signs. Don't worry about these, the trailhead is on state land.

1.9 miles - The road becomes gravel, continue straight. I believe at this point the road becomes marked as Oak Trail. Keep making your way up the ridge.

2.9 miles - The road makes a final sharp right-hand turn and levels out. Look for "NC Game Land" sign and turn, doubling back to the left. Follow this two-track to the parking area.

3.3 miles - Parking area and gate. Trail to summit begins on the other side of the gate.

Trailhead Co-ordinates: 36.42362°N, 81.59890°W

Trailhead Elevation: ~3580'

Summit Elevation: ~5100'

Elevation Gain/Loss: ~1500'

Trail Length: About 3.5 miles round trip. It took me about 50 minutes to climb with stops for photos on the way. The trip back down took me about half as long. Plan to spend some time playing around on the summit ridge though!






Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-7 of 7
lisae

lisae - Dec 12, 2006 1:08 am - Voted 10/10

Panorama Shots

I don't know why but there is a problem with the two panorama shots. When you click on the enlarge button, you get one of Gandolf's images, not your pictures

dwhike

dwhike - Dec 12, 2006 2:03 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Panorama Shots

Holy cow! Sorry about that. Just figuring out how to post those panos and didn't change photo id #'s when I copy & pasted from Gandolf's tutorial. Thanks for catching that for me. The more comlpicated these pages get the easier it is to screw 'em up!

BobSmith

BobSmith - Dec 13, 2006 2:31 am - Voted 10/10

Great post!

A great one. Certainly on my list to do!

dwhike

dwhike - Dec 13, 2006 4:22 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great post!

Thanks! Yeah, it's really amazing this peak is not more well-known.

Tomas Kristofory

Tomas Kristofory - Dec 15, 2006 1:02 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice trip report

nice photos, good formatting of the page. And of course nice mountains. I like this report. I feel somewhat warmth of mountains of your report. Cheers Tomas

rudeboy

rudeboy - Aug 8, 2010 10:10 am - Voted 10/10

OK to add a photo?

I'm new here, so I don't know what the protocol is for adding photos to an existing gallery. I climbed Three Top last November largely on account of dwhike's trip report and accompanying images. I absolutely loved playing around on that mountaintop -- one of the best 360-degree views in the Appalachians. The photo I added to the gallery was of a nice little waterfall near the trailhead, made all the more impressive, no doubt, by a nor'easter that had just passed through western NC.

dwhike

dwhike - Aug 14, 2010 8:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: OK to add a photo?

Sorry it took a while to get back to ya. Nice pic, I remember that spot well. As far as posting pics most of us on SP are pretty cool about it. The only thing I could suggest is maybe attaching the photo to the main Three Top page. Trip reports are more personal accounts of a persons travels. If you have enough pics for your own TR then I'd say add it. Otherwise, individual pics should be added to the main page or attached galleries. Thanks for asking and welcome to SP!

Viewing: 1-7 of 7

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Three Top MountainTrip Reports