Torre Lusy North Face

Torre Lusy North Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: UIAA IV (YDS 5.6)
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is an excellent moderate route. Quite justifiably one of the most popular routes in the Cinque Torre. It is not unusual to have to stand in line to get started.

Approach


Once in the CinqueTorri area, there are trails all over leading to the various towers.

Route Description

Torre Lusy, North Face RouteLine of Route


Start at the center of the north face.

Pitch 1: 30 m. Climb up L to an obvious niche (III). Leave this on the R and go up to the edge (IV) then back R to a belay stance on the R edge.

Pitch 2: 30m Go diagonally R to the other edge and up this few M (III).

Pitch 3: 20m Traverse L onto the east face (III) and then directly back to the ridge (III+).

Pitch 4: 25m: traverse a little R, obliquely right to the NW ridge (III). Climb the ridge for 6m (IV) then back L(III) to a stance on the edge.

Pitch 5: 30m. Climb up the ridge for 3m, then traverse L to a crack (III) which leads to a ledge. Go L on the ledge, then direct to the summit.

Torre Lusy, North FaceClimbing on the Face
Torre Lusy, North FaceClimbing on the Face

Descent

Abseil from Torre LusyThe Rappel



Either descend to the west by a little chimney for a few m to reach a ledge with cemented pegs. From there it is a 40 m rappel to the base. If you only have one 50 m rope, you can also rappel the ascent route, but this is not recommended because of the number of people normally ascending (You would be somewhat unpopular). 4 rappels of 20m, using the fixed pegs.

Essential Gear

Most protection and the belay stances are fixed. 5 quickdraws, a small rack, rappeling gear and a 50 m rope should be adequate for the ascent. However, if planning to do the 40 m rappel you will need to be prepared....


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.