Tree Root, 5.5

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.57820°N / 119.2581°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.5 (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.5
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 2
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview







Topo of Tree Root
on pitch 1

Tree Root is the name of a route on Black Wall/Sespe Wall in the mountains north of the town of Ojai, California.


It is reasonable to assume that Tree Root, formerly known as “Tree Route,” is the oldest technical route climbed on Black Wall. According to Steve Tucker’s guide book to this area, Santa Barbara’s own Herb Rickert played a role in the first ascent of Tree Root, or at least doing the first pitch, in the later part of the 1950s. By the early 1960s the entire route was cleaned and done on lead. By the time I arrived at the scene in 1969, the route was clean and the rock was pretty much free of lichen.



The route Tree Root takes the path of least resistance up the middle of the face for nearly three hundred feet. This is an enjoyable climb that can be done in two pitches, but it’s best done in three. To the right of a straight up crack known as Ending Crack, you will see another crack system with five trees growing out of it. The first tree is the largest and it has been there for at least fifty years. The crack system that leads from tree to tree is your route.

On pitch 1
Starting pitch 2






Pitch 1, 5.5: Start near a pine tree on face moves up and left to gain a crack leading to the first tree. Climb the crack to the first tree. A bolt anchor has been put here so you can avoid using the tree. If you see old slings around the tree, cut them.

Pitch 2, 5.5: If you have a long rope you can climb all the way to the top; otherwise do the next section in two pitches. The crack heads up and left following a series of smaller trees growing out of the crack. There is another bolt anchor just before topping out, and reaching the end of your climb.

To descend: Rapel down Ending Crack using the two main anchor points on that route. Rapelling your route is a bit problematic since the rope can get tangled up in the trees.

Essential Gear: Standard rack, pro up to three inches.

How to get there

Views of the surrounding areas
Nearing Pitch 1 anchor



Directions to Black Wall of Sespe Gorge cannot be simpler. From Highway 101 and the city of Ventura, California, take Highway 33 north for 13.2 miles to its junction with Maricopa Road in the town Ojai. Turn left here onto Maricopa and drive another twenty miles. You will see Black Wall to your left across the creek.

Camping

Views of the surrounding areas


Unlike in the mountains of Santa Barbara, there are a number of campgrounds along Highway 33 on your way to Black Wall. Wheeler Gorge Campground is one. If you want to camp closer to town, there are many State Beach campgrounds along the beaches of Ventura County.
The following links should help you find a suitable spot for camping.


Ventura/Ojai weather


Ventura Beach Camping


Wheeler Gorge Campground/Ventura, Ojai camping


Emma Wood State Beach



Links

Black Wall/Sespe Wall


Ending Crack



Ventura/Ojai weather


Ventura Beach Camping


Wheeler Gorge Campground/Ventura, Ojai camping


Emma Wood State Beach

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.