Granite Peak: Exciting Finish to the Lower 48

Granite Peak: Exciting Finish to the Lower 48

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 16, 2009
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer

Intro/Stats

Granite Pk, MT (12799')-Highest Point in Montana
Froze-to-Death Mtn, MT (11765')
Tempest Mtn (12500')
Mt Peal (12409')

Via East Rosebud/Phantom Creek/Froze to Death Plateau
Participants: Sarah T. Meiser, Dwight Sunwall, & Kevin Baker
Aug. 15-18, 2009


Slideshow with music


Granite Peak is the highest mountain in the wild and rugged state of Montana, which I had barely set foot in once on a visit to Yellowstone. It was first climbed in 1923, the last of the state highpoints to be climbed. It is considered to be one of the toughest highpoints due to the long approach, frequent unpredictable storms, and 4th to low 5th class scrambling required. I would put it at #4 in difficulty behind Denali, Rainier, and Gannett. Many highpointers have had to make multiple attempts to claim this elusive summit and I was hoping not to suffer the same bad luck.

Dwight and Sarah were up for an exciting challenge like Granite even though they are not your traditional highpointer! I have a 100% success rate on primary summits with them, so we would form a solid team! We would only have 2 days available to make a summit bid, but could add a third summit day if we could possibly push all the way to high camp in one day. We had no problems finding the East Rosebud/Phantom Creek trailhead on Sat morning, electing to take this trail over the standard Mystic Lake trail as it makes a gentle ascent to Froze to Death Plateau.

Day 1 & 2-Approach, Froze-to-Death, & Tempest

Day 1-Pack into low camp (8900')
4.6 miles, 2740' gain



Dwight brought his scale and Dwight and Sarah's packs weighed in at 38 pounds and mine was 42. Not bad for 4 days! We set out at 11:15am Sat and quickly suffered two setbacks. About 10 minutes up the trail I discovered that I left my headset in the car to my satellite radio. I dropped the pack and raced back to get this luxury item! Another 5 minutes up the trail and Sarah realized she had left her orthotics in the car! I guess we both get an asterisk for extra vertical! We were quite pleased with this luxurious trail that has been well maintained, as it gently climbs to Slough Lake.

A cool waterfall off the trail:
From Granite


We met a group coming down who turned around at the snow bridge despite good weather. For one older guy, it was his second attempt on Granite. It started raining pretty hard right when we got to Slough Lake, so we waited it out in the trees for awhile. We headed back up when the rain let up, and luckily it stopped later on. We ended up deciding on splitting up the approach into 2 days and camped in the trees at 8900' just off the trail.

Day 2-Froze-to-Death Mtn/High Camp/Tempest Mtn/Mt Peal attempt
9 miles, 4000' gain


It rained off and on during the night and we were less than enthused to find out what it was like on the infamous Froze to Death Plateau. We set out at 6:15am in hopes of tagging unranked 11er Froze-to-Death along with ranked 12er Tempest beyond high camp if the weather held. We enjoyed the trail to the saddle and it was apparent that we were going to be in and out of the clouds all day.

From Granite


The plateau was initially easy off trail hiking on patches of grass and talus, but once we beelined it up to the ridge to go over Froze-to-Death, tedious boulder hopping over huge blocks ensued. This was tough with full packs on!

A sea of boulders on Froze-to-Death:
From Granite


Boulder hopping was the common theme throughout this trip, so we just had to deal with it. The slog over to the lower rock shelters at 11600' seemed to take forever, so we were glad we didn't do this in one shot.

After setting up camp, it looked like the weather would hold long enough for the short 900 foot climb up nearby ranked 12er Tempest, the 8th highest peak in MT. We found bits of a trail to the north ridge and did some easy talus hopping to the summit. Here we got a nice preview of Granite for the next day. Luckily, the standard route is not on the north face!

From Granite


Dwight decided to see if we could traverse over to 12er Peal which is only a mile away, but I was pretty sure the ridge had some deep notches that could not be avoided. That ended up being the case, so we got some more boulder hopping in back to camp.

No dice on Peal's dramatic n.w. ridge:

From Granite


We made it back to camp in time for dinner before it got dark. The winds really picked up and it snowed on and off for a few hours. I probably only got a couple hours of sleep worrying about the weather and how tricky the terrain would be if there was significant snow.

Summit Day

Day 3-Granite Peak from high camp
4 miles RT, 2400' gain


The winds didn't subside enough at dawn and Dwight reported a temp of 28! I had all my clothes on as we set out at 6:30, hoping the winds would subside when we dropped down the trail on the west side of Tempest. Skies were clear though and it looked like we might get a window to summit. The snow did not accumulate much at all and would likely not be an issue on the south face.

Early morning light on Granite:

From Granite


Since we got a bit of a late start due to the cold temps, we tried to keep our breaks very short. The traverse down to Bivouac Saddle wasn't too bad, although there was still plenty of loose boulder hopping as the trail was sporatic. I stowed my poles at the saddle, and a mean mountain goat tore up the handles on one of them. Was this little guy the culprit? We later saw them high on the ridge following us up Granite. Wonder if he signed the summit log?

From Granite


The next leg of the climb is up the east ridge via a trail on the left to the snow bridge. We followed the trail here and there, avoiding a few minor snowfields with some class 3 scrambling on the ridge. We climbed through a notch and got our first view of the snow bridge and lower sections of climbing.

From Granite


We were able to cross some minor patches of snow prior to the snow bridge and decided to play it conservative and setup a belay across the snow bridge. Even though there were steps in place from previous climbers, the snow was too hard to self belay with an ice axe. The bridge was probably still a good 10 feet tall, so there must have been a lot of snow up here last winter! Sometimes this bridge is totally gone by Aug.

Dwight belays Sarah across:
From Granite


Snowbridge crossing

We all made it across pretty quick and were eager to get started with the climbing! We used Alan Ellis's excellent route description from summitpost and pretty much nailed the route. The initial climbing is a series of 3 chimneys, which are no harder than class 4. We took turns leading and it was loads of fun. We thought the lower portion of the route was pretty obvious as there were slings at the top of the chimneys.

Kevin heading up chimney #2. Pic by Sarah T. Meiser.
From Granite


Dwight climbing one of the chimneys. Pic by Sarah T. Meiser.
From Granite


After making it up the first 3 chimneys, we passed through a notch and the rest of the upper route on the south face revealed itself. The rest of the remaining 200 feet on the south face is not obvious from here, so we looked at a photo of the remaining route. We scrambled up to a large flake on the face which formed a short dyhedral that we thought was low 5th class. When I saw Sarah think about it for a bit, I opted for a belay.

From Granite


We then made an exposed traverse on a thin ledge at the top of the flake to easier terrain. There was one additional awkward section above this that I took a belay on. Above this we climbed another chimney with a chockstone in the middle of it that required a bit of a mantle move to get over. From here, we traversed left to the famous keyhole, passing below it to the right. The final obstacle to the summit ridge was another 15 foot chimney that was a lot of fun.

Pic by Sarah T. Meiser:
From Granite


A short scramble on the ridge and low and behold there was the familiar block that I had seen many summit pics of! At 10:17am, we topped out on the roof of Montana! We were amazed that there wasn't even a hint of a breeze on the summit, although low clouds in the valley were beginning to rise.

Summit pano video

Granite completes the low 48 state highpoints for me and leaves only Denali to finish! Hard to believe this journey started some 25 years ago back in 1984when I did the driveups of Clingman's Dome and Mt Mitchell in the Smokies with my family as a kid. It has been quite the adventure.

From Granite


We had pushed all the way to the summit from camp with only one break, so we were glad to have enough time to refuel for the rappelling action to come. We played it safe and rappelled down most of the 4th class stuff, which was probably faster than downclimbing. We lost count how many raps we did, but it was probably 5 or 6. We used two 30 meter ropes and ended up tieing them together further down for the longer raps.

Sarah raps one of the longer sections:
From Granite


We moved efficiently as it looked like weather was going to move in and made it back down to the snowbridge in about an hour. We belayed across the bridge again as the snow hadn't softened up much. On the way back down the east ridge, we stuck closer to the crest, which afforded some airy scrambling.

As we made our way back up the side of Tempest, it began to snow. The talus got real slick and I took a hard fall and bashed my shin pretty good. Glad it was snowing on easy terrain and not higher up! We pushed up to the plateau and made it back to camp around 2:40. I must say Granite is one of my favorite highpoints despite the long approach and the inhospitable FTD plateau, but we got real lucky with the weather!

Mount Peal & Descent

Day 4 & 5- Mount Peal & Descent
15.2 miles, 3500' gain


Just a short summary of our final climb since this report is long enough. Peal is the 9th highest summit in MT and is just south of our camp. We didn't have much beta on it, so we pretty much made up our own route. If you're looked for a "smell the flowers" hike, this slog is not for you! Hours and hours of tedious boulder hopping await. We dropped off FTD plateau about .6 mile east of camp and dropped 1200' on class 2 steep grass and boulders. We then traversed above Turgulse Lake on huge boulders, some the size of cars.

From Granite


We then climbed a prominent gully of loose talus and scree that made the hourglass on Little Bear seem like a piece of cake, although this gully can be kept at a precarious class 2. I stepped on a huge block on a short ledge and knocked it loose, exploding it into a million pieces!

At the top of the nasty gully:
From Granite


The final 900 feet to the summit up the n.e. ridge was on easy talus. Great views to the west and over to Granite from this summit, which is ringed with cliffs on the west side.

Looking n.w. from Peal summit:
From Granite


The descent of the gully was really annoying, as stable footing was hard to find. On the way back, I decided to avoid the boulder field and traverse on scree above Turgulse Lake. I had to make sure I didn't slip, or it would be a chilly plunge into the lake! I met back up with Dwight and Sarah before climbing out of the valley back up the the plateau. The climb of Peal had taken a bit over 8 hours.

We had enough of camping on FTD plateau, so we packed up and headed down to the lower camp. We had great weather all the way down to our low camp, which probably doesn't happen too often on a given summer afternoon. I was tired of camping and lobbied to hike all the way out that evening, but Sarah overruled that idea as there would likely not be any restaurants open. It was good that we didn't, because the next morning the 4Runner battery was dead from a light that was left on! Dwight and Sarah flagged down a car quickly and we got a jump in about 30 minutes. What a trip!

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-20 of 27
12
Dean

Dean - Aug 21, 2009 6:28 am - Voted 10/10

Great report

One of the best I've seen for Granite and your pics are really helpful in telling the story. Congratulations on completing the lower 48.

cp0915

cp0915 - Aug 21, 2009 9:38 am - Voted 10/10

Excellent TR

Thanks for the stoke!

chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - Aug 21, 2009 10:20 am - Voted 10/10

Congrats

Congrats Kevin! Great way to finish the lower 48 and a great TR and pics to tell the tale!

HokieJim

HokieJim - Aug 21, 2009 10:38 am - Voted 10/10

Awesome...

pics as always Kevin! Congrats on a successful trip!

musicman82

musicman82 - Aug 21, 2009 11:30 am - Voted 10/10

Well done

This is the definitive SP trip report for Granite - nice work!

maddie77777

maddie77777 - Aug 21, 2009 11:59 am - Voted 10/10

Awesome report

And fantastic pictures. For some reason, I thought people went over the top of the snow bridge. I didn't realize you have to tackle it from the side. Great pictures which will help me plan for this one......at some point in my life...

shknbke

shknbke - Aug 21, 2009 2:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome report

Maddie:

From the pics I have seen, most years the snowbridge is totally dried out or not a factor in Aug and you can walk across the top of it. I think I read somewhere that MT was well above average in snowfall last year, so the bridge isn't going to melt out this summer! It was so high this year that if you walked on the crest you would have to downclimb 10-15 feet of near vertical snow at the end of it! There was a huge moat carved out by the wind.

BigRob

BigRob - Aug 21, 2009 11:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Congratulations

Very cool report and excellent photos. Makes me want to call a road trip. I grew up in SE TN not far too far from Clingman's Dome. Funny you mentioned it. My dad used to take us to Cade's Cove all the time.

TimW - Aug 22, 2009 9:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Good report/photos

Was wondering if you guys would tackle the Tempest/Peal ridge. Could be doable, but would take awhile. Sounds like the N side of Peal is as junky as the SE slopes.

TLP

TLP - Aug 23, 2009 8:33 am - Voted 10/10

Congrats

Nice job on Granite, and completing the lower 48 Highpoints! Something to be proud of.

wyopeakMike

wyopeakMike - Aug 23, 2009 12:51 pm - Voted 10/10

great report

Congrats on the lower 48 highpoints, are you going to Denali? A great TR for an amazing peak I hope to get to some day. Your report was very helpful for more info on the peak.

shknbke

shknbke - Aug 23, 2009 3:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: great report

Thanks for the comment, Mike. I'm shooting for 2011 for Denali. I still have a lot to learn with camping on snow, so I'm hoping to improve in that area over the next couple winters!

Moogie737

Moogie737 - Aug 23, 2009 5:45 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice report

Joe and I made it to Granite's summit on the 14th, but we came from the southwest and used the southwest couloir. We had only three small snow squalls but 35 mph winds to deal with the entire summit day. Nice going on your adventure and good report with good pics.

climber555

climber555 - Aug 23, 2009 10:35 pm - Hasn't voted

nice report

Good job on the climb. Glad you guys had nice weather. Looks like a fun climb.

Tracy

Tracy - Aug 23, 2009 11:17 pm - Voted 10/10

great TR

I have to echo what the other commentators said re: the pictures and the narrative.... A great trip report that helped me visualize what is really involved!

Luciano136

Luciano136 - Aug 24, 2009 1:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Camp :-).

Sounds like you enjoy camping as much as I do ;-). Pretty chilly for August! Congrats and when is the last highpoint?!

Tbacon251

Tbacon251 - Aug 24, 2009 3:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Great job and great report!

Proud of you. I made the summit on June 27th, 2009 (other side). I attempted your route a couple times, but was turned around due to weather. I am so happy that you made it....GREAT JOB!

JDrake

JDrake - Aug 25, 2009 6:34 pm - Voted 10/10

Great TR

Just a great read through and through.

tmbass

tmbass - Aug 26, 2009 11:52 am - Hasn't voted

Goat Vandalism!

Great trip report and congratulations. Just a bit of trivia for you... Goats are always looking for salt in their diets and will chew anything that may have sweat or salt residue. They are even known to rush over to where someone has urinated to get the dissolved salts excreted. I guess your trekking pole was collateral damage on a great climb.

shknbke

shknbke - Aug 26, 2009 1:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Goat Vandalism!

Yeah, I was aware of their attraction to salt. I put the tips of my poles in a crack between two rocks so that goats or marmots couldn't get to the handles, but they were able to knock one down. One goat was on my pee within about 5 seconds after I finished once at camp!

Viewing: 1-20 of 27
12