Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.21994°N / 123.56332°W
Additional Information County: Douglas
Activities Activities: Sport Climbing, Toprope
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2500 ft / 762 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Trolls Throne is another sandstone crag in the Callahans, this one shaped rather like the back of a chair. After the Inner World area(Mind Planet and Turtle Rock), this is the second-most popular. Can be a real oven in late spring and into summer. To easy top-rope access, walk north on the baseline trail, around the formation, then up a good side trail which leads to a saddle where numerous anchors can be found.
Intro To Rock Class

Getting There

If coming from north or south, take Interstate Five to exit# 125 (Garden Valley), take a right(from the north) or a left(from the south) onto Garden Vally blvd and proceed west, then northwest for several miles until you can turn left onto Melrose Rd. Drive for another couple of miles until you reach the Melrose Store. Stay on Melrose road for close to two more miles until you hit Flournoy Valley Rd. Turn right. Drive for nearly five miles to Touchstone Rd. Turn right again. Drive for for nearly two miles (the last 1/3 on gravel) until you come to the gate. Park below the gate if it is open (the gate can close without prior warning, so do yourself a favor and park below it, also, don't block or park too close to the gate). There is parking for ten to fifteen vehicles. Hike up the road to the hairpin curve, where an obvious trail heads off into the trees to the right. Take heed of the various warnings and proceed up the relentlessly steep trail for maybe half a mile to where the trail forks. Take the right hand fork for another 1/4 of a mile to the base of Turtle Rock, then take the baseline trail north for five to ten minutes of walking until you come to the obvious 'throne'.
Intro To Rock Class

Red Tape

Please note, this is Weyerhauser land, and is private property, so we, as climbers, need to take care of this area or we risk having it closed to us. So please, no smoking, camping, polluting of any kind. Now that this area has grown in popularity, we are starting to see more and more poorly buried toilet paper. It's not terrible yet, but it could become that way, so please, bury it deep or pack it out.

Camping

While there is no camping allowed at the climbing area, there are numerous local areas to pitch a tent in comfort. According to Greg Orton's guide, the Twin Rivers Vacation Park has some nice group areas for tents. They can be contacted HERE. or contacted by phone at (541) 673-3811.
Though it is not recommended, there is free, waterless camping on the Bear Ridge portion (north of the climbing areas) of the Callahans, but risk of theft or vandalism runs high.

Weather

Local Weather Conditions HERE.

Routes

There are ten established routes on Trolls Throne.
The Routes:
Nuts and Bolts 5.9
Orc's Prowl 5.10b/c
Hobbits and Halflings 5.7/8
Elf Magic 5.8
Studs Of Rohan 5.9
Gaza Strip 5.8 TR
Treachery 5.10b/c
Ledge Culture 5.10d
Troll Romp 5.9
Troll Terror 5.10c
Trolls and Tribulations 5.11a


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

The CallahansMountains & Rocks