Turrett Creek Meadows

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 39.90110°N / 107.2059°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter

Overview

Turrett Creek Meadows is situated in the beautiful Flat Tops. In a wet spring there are amazing fields of wild flowers and Turrett Creek houses plenty of trout so remember your pole. Turrett Creek Meadows on the way to Single peak is an excellent place to camp and even bring the kids. The hike goes by some beautiful waterfalls. You ascend short, steep sections only to reach meadow after meadow, the whole way excellent views of Sweetwater Lake offer numerous photo ops. This area is a popular destination for the nearby Andeson Adventure Camps, so don't be suprised if you see a bunch of kids running around.
Shingle Peak
Shingle Peak

Getting There

From I-70 take the Dotsero exit East of Glenwood Canyon, and proceed north until you reach Anderson Camps. Take a left and continue Northeast up Sweetwater Creek. Proceed until you pass Sweetwater Lake and resort on your left. After about a mile you will reach the end of the road. You can either park on your right or continue up a steep section to park at the trailhead. In winter you will have to park at the lower section. A well developed trail will take you to Turret Meadows. Be advised Sweetwater Resort does a lot of pack trips, so the trail may split off randomly to hunting camps. Bring a Topo of the area USGS Trappers Lake (CO) and USGS Sweetwater Lake (CO).

Red Tape

This area is very popular for elk hunting so check the seasons and consider a blaze orange vest as you are likely to see hunters. In spring there are some mild to considerable creek crossings, and a lot of mud. Remember your bug spray, I repeat Remember your bug spray!!!

USDA Forest Service
White River
National Forest
P.O. Box 948
Glenwood Springs CO 81602
(970)-945-2521
Spring CrossingBe prepared for a stream or two in spring

Camping

A great place to camp. Camping is available in Turrett Creek Meadows. Please use existing fire rings and check for fire bans
If Camping isn't your cup of tea visitSweetwater Lake Resort they have great lodging as well as good dinner (mmmmmm Buffulo). They also offer a slew of other activities.
Turrett Meadows

Turrett MeadowsBring the kids
WaterfallGreat waterfalls

External Links

If you have kids that are looking for a great adventure and the time of their lives contact:
Anderson Adventure Camps

Sggested Topos

USGS Trappers Lake (CO)
USGS Sweetwater Lake (CO)


Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Flat TopsTrip Reports