Turtle Soup

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.45400°N / 122.625°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.9
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The route is in the Cirque. The best approach is to follow the Sunset Trail to the base of Powerline Wall. From here, descend southeast following the Cirque trail which switch-backs west and continues descending finally making a traverse to the east edge of the Cirque. Continue to the west edge of the Cirque and gear up here.

Route Description

Climb 20 feet of slab just past a small madrone tree on the west side of the Cirque. Two fixed pitons protect an awkward move left under a roof and up a blocky overhanging crack system (crux). Continue up the crack system on blocky holds to a small step and up to a madrone tree on a spacious ledge. Belay at the tree. As an option, a second pitch can be climbed. From the madrone tree, traverse right on a grassy ledge to the start of a 10 foot dihedral. Set up a trad belay here. The route follows the arete up and to the right with considerable exposure on good rock. The route ends at the top with a trad belay.

Essential Gear

Small nuts and small to medium cams needed for the first pitch. The second pitch requires trad belays (medium gear), but is bolted.

Miscellaneous Info

This route is one of the few on Erie at its grade that is overhanging and pumpy. A fun and entertaining climb.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.