Unanua

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.88830°N / 1.9802°W
Additional Information Route Type: scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Approach to Unanua from Pamplona:
take the direction Vitoria / San Sebastian in the highway and take the exit to Arbizu. Near the exit of the highway we'll see to left the signal to Unanua 3km (total: 42 km from Pamplona).

Route Description


Slope: 814m.
Time to summit: 1h 40min + 15 min to Iyurbain.

In the village of Unanua (610m) near a watering place for farm animals("aska") start a track. Follow the track to water tanks and follow in the track-crossing to the left. We will see the slender and impressive Morro de San Donato over the trees and will come to a fountain in which again we will choose the track of the left side (to the right is a track to bordering tha range).
After 90 meters we'll see in the left side of the track the 2 great cairns of stones where we will leave the track . The narrow path goes in diagonal towards the forest of beeches. We'll follow the cairns in the forest up to going out to a more clear zone. After crossing a rock zone we will come to a plain of grass before the base of the "cascajera", a steep hillside of free stones (40min). This is the zone with harder slope.
The path is visible and goes towards the center of the ridge towards the right. We will see to the left side a path that descends from the Morro that we will take to descend if we reach also Iyurbain's top. After a small draft to the left side the path turns radically to the right and is smoothed totally to reach the top terraces indicated with big cairns. Finally we see the principal summit to the right with the small hermitage (1h20min).
The tour for the broad plateau is nice and calm enjoying the landscape up to the summit of Beriain (1h40min, 1494m).

To reach the Morro, we will have to descend a bit not to walk near the dangerous edge and for a rocky area we will come in horizontally to the top of the Iyurbain (2h, 1420m) where the landscape is totally aerial and not advisable at all to persons with dizziness. Now the decrease is in diagonal towards the half of the hillside to find the way of ascent.

Essential Gear


Walking poles, water.
In winter: crampons, ice-axe.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.