Unnamed Rock Slide

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.14830°N / 73.8331°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Reach Johns Brook Lodge from any one of several approaches, then cross Ore Bed Brook and head up the Ore Bed Brook Trail until you reach a stream crossing, and a Lean-To. Instead of heading further up the trail, head up the rock in the creek bed. After several tenths of a mile and some very very steep pitches, you reach a large section of deadfall. This can be skirted to the left or the right. At this point you reach the base of the slide.

Route Description


The base is loose dirt and some rock fragments. Head uphill towards the main rock slide. Continue up the middle of the rock face, towards a very large crack in the face. Climb into the crack, and follow it up and to the right on the face. You then climb onto a very very exposed section of rock, with great care needed as falls wouldn't be hard to accomplish. At the top of the slide there is a small rock area surrounded on 3 sides by dense forest, and on the front by a few scrub trees. From here there are views of Saddleback, Basin, Marcy, and Big Slide. You will definitely have the slide to yourself.

Descend by the same route with GREAT CARE. The woods to the left, right, and top of the slide are thick, filled with sink holes, and surroned with cliff bands. It's hard to go anywhere above the slide.

Essential Gear


In winter, it would probably require snowshoes on the hike in, and ice climbing gear on the slide. In the summer, all that is required is a strong will and a good balance. Rope could be used to protect the decent.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.