brendonFact Sheet

brendon

Don't for get to change this to fact sheet from a TR.
Posted Feb 14, 2006 2:14 am

John KirkVerified

John Kirk

Nice list Scott- Layne Bracy and I have complied all 300' prominence peaks for Utah and we have the same count of 12k+. We're going to use your nicknames for the unnamed and I'll list you as a reference for 12k+ on my site. One note - La Sal Peak is an official name - you can find it in a GNIS search or Topozone.
Posted Feb 26, 2007 10:52 pm

ScottRe: Verified

Scott

Thanks. I changed La Sal peak to an official name.

Kind of strange that so many of Utah's highest peaks still don't have official names.

I'm glad it was verified. I made this list from scratch and hate to admit how long it took me. Unlike CO there were no previous list avaialable and I had to start from scratch by looking at every topo map!
Posted Feb 26, 2007 11:05 pm

KlenkeRe: Verified

Klenke

If any of these unnamed peaks happen to be within an official wilderness then they will most probably not ever receive official names. I personally like this hard line stance by the USGS naming board since even naming things within a wilderness diminshes the wildernessness (wildernicity?) of the wilderness.
Posted Feb 27, 2007 12:44 am

ScottRe: Verified

Scott

Thanks.

Yep, most of them are in currently in the wilderness area and it's hard to officially name a peak after the wilderness is designated. Most of the un-named peaks are in the HIgh Uintas Wilderness area which has been a wilderness area since 1984. Before that and dating back to the 1930's, it was a designated Primitive Area. The last peak to be officially named was Mount Powell which is named after the famous river runner and the peak was named in the 1970's.

It's still rather amazing and unique that the majority of the high peaks in Utah are un-named. Sometimes it scews the list because some list included only named peaks:

100 Highest Named Peaks in Utah

As far as named peaks go, only 40 of the 89 peaks that are both over 12,000 feet and have 300 feet prominence are named or 40 out of 110 of the ones with 200 foot prominence.

As you go down to the 11,000 foot peaks, even less are named. Just over 100 are named, but it is a very small percentage of the several hundred that exist without names.

Personally, I'm with you on not minding the hard-line stance. The only problem it can create is because different guidebook authors and such use different names for the peaks.

"Fortress Peak" and "Henrys Fork Peak" are one and the same, for example. For the list, I used the name that was first published, if there was one. Most of them had no name, so I just took it from the nearest named feature, i.e. "Painter Peak" from Painter Basin, "Trail Rider Peak" from Trail Rider Pass, and "Allsop Peak" from Allsop Lake. Many of the peaks (i.e. all the 13ers) were already named in guidebooks, so I used their names.
Posted Feb 27, 2007 10:08 pm

John KirkRe: Verified

John Kirk

Yes, I'd agree the unnamed ratio is abnormally high compared to the 3 other states we've listed all 300' prominences and named peaks for. There is probably a reason, but it isn't obvious to me.

CO - 96 Named of top 100