Utah Triangulation Structures

Utah Triangulation Structures

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking

What is that thing?

View benchmark s structure
The first time I saw one of these structures, I said "what the heck is that?"
Then I moved to Lehi and a neighbor down the street said he is one of the guys who helped put these weird structures on top of many of the peaks.
He said these structures were used for traingulation surveying from the valley floors, before satellites were available,and that six were put up on these Utah Peaks:
Mt. Timpanogos
Spanish Fork Peak
West Mountain
Lake Mountain
View Benchmark
Williams (maybe on govt prop & off limits)

He also said that four or five were put up on peaks in Millard County, Fool Creek Peak, Mt. Catherine as well as Sunset and Coffee Peaks. Eric Willhite mentioned that he has seen these structures on Sunset Peak and Coffee Peak and on Park Peak near Park City Utah.

It turns out that my neighbor was the one in charge of the Millard County structures and participated in the placement of the Utah County ones. Then (4-12-09) he gave me a copy of the pamphlet produced by Utah County titled "Use of State Coordinates - Utah County, Utah which included the techno jargon for using these triangulation structures. To me this is all very interesting and I hope you find this interesting as well.

Please add your pictures of these structures if you have any to share.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-7 of 7
vanman798

vanman798 - Apr 6, 2009 12:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Lightening Rods?

When I first saw these structures, I thought prehaps they were lightening rods. I feel a bit foolish when I found out what they really were. I do wonder, however, if they do attrack the lightening.

imontop

imontop - Apr 7, 2009 11:10 pm - Voted 10/10

Interesting stuff Dean

Cool page.

Dean

Dean - Apr 7, 2009 11:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Interesting stuff Dean

Thanks Eric. They are unlike anything I have ever seen elsewhere. Truly unique. Interesting coincidence that the guy who helped put them up lives 4 houses up the street from me.

Alex Wood

Alex Wood - Nov 29, 2009 1:56 am - Voted 10/10

Interesting

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/419967/Park-Mountain.html There is one on that peak too. I was wondering what it was.

Alex Wood

Alex Wood - Dec 1, 2009 12:50 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Interesting

its attached. Cool page too!

mrchad9

mrchad9 - May 21, 2010 12:49 pm - Voted 10/10

Interesting album

Utah has certainly found a way to may finding the benchmark easy. A lot of those photos are very nice as well.

vanman798

vanman798 - Sep 14, 2010 3:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Interesting album

They have these in Russia too, see http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=657833&confirm_post=4

Viewing: 1-7 of 7


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.