via Smiths Fork Pass

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.77570°N / 110.4623°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2-3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See the Getting There section on the main page for directions to China Meadows. From China Meadows, follow the Smiths Fork trail south towards Red Castle lakes. This route is entirely class 1 hiking until you go over Smiths Fork Pass.

Route Description

Round Trip Distance : 28 mi
Elevation Gain : 3500 ft

Trail OverviewTrail Overview


Begin hiking from China Meadows and head south towards Red Castle Lakes. The trail is easy to follow and well used. There are several stream crossings made easy by bridges. Follow the trail for approximately 8.5 miles to the intersection with the East and West Red Castle Lakes trails. Take the East Red Castle Lakes trail which immediately crosses a bridge and follow for approximately 4 miles to Smiths Fork Pass, seen here. You will pass the Red Castle to your right along with two small lakes. The first lake closer to Red Castle is named East Red Castle Lake and the other lake closer to Smiths Fork Pass is appropriately named Smiths Fork Pass Lake.

Smiths Fork Pass Route OverviewSmiths Fork Route


Once at Smiths Fork Pass, elevation 11,800 feet, head directly west and towards the peak. From the pass you will have a good view of Wilson Peak and your route to the top, seen here. Gain the saddle seen to the right, then continue up the northeast ridge of the peak. It is mostly class 2 with a few class 3 sections, class 4 can be found but can also be avoided.

Essential Gear

Backpacking gear for a few days, water sources can be found along the way.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.