Vis from Rif. Corsi - south slopes

Vis from Rif. Corsi - south slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.43020°N / 13.49590°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Marked route with some secured parts, scrambling
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

The starting point is Rif. Corsi (hut), 1874m.

Map of Cima di Riofreddo
Vis and its routes.

It can be reached by marked paths in 3 hours from Val Rio del Lago or from Sella Nevea (saddle). Besides this shortest approach the hut (and afterwards the summit of Jof Fuart / Vis) can be reached also from other valleys in Jof Fuart / Vis subgroup:
- From Riobianco / Beli potok valley ( there's Rif. Brunner and Gorizia bivouac) over the Forcella del Vallone (notch), 2180m.
- From Riofredo / Mrzli potok valley over the Riofredo notch, 2240m.
- From Saissera / Zajzera (there's Mazzeni bivouac) over the Forcella Lavinal dell Orso / Skrbina sprednje Spranje, 2138m, or over the Forcella Mose / Skrbina zadnje Spranje, 2271m.
- From Altipiano del Montasio (there's Rif. Brazza).

The most people take the approach from Val Rio del Lago. You park on the parking place in the forest and then continue over the macadam road which is closed for public traffic. Soon you reach the meadow Malga Grantagar, 1530m. From the meadow you follow the signposts for Rif. Corsi and you reach the hut through the forest and some small grassy slopes.

Route Description

 
An alpine chamois near the ridge.
On the south slopes, view to east ridge.

From the hut you follow the signposts over the wide path that goes in the north direction. First one route goes to the notch Forcella Mose, 2271m, the second on goes to the notch Forca del Vallone, 2180m and thrid one goes to the notch Forcella di Riofreddo, 2240m. If we lead the signposts for the notch Forcella di Riofreddo we come to the start of ferrata Anita Goitan.

But we continue in the north direction over well marked route in the north direction. Our route ascends over steep grassy slopes to the big ravine between Vis and Gamsova Mati / Madri dei Camosci, 2518m. Here we must climb first in to the ravine and then with the help of iron cable we climb from the ravine on the left and upper we cross the ferrata Anita Goitan. Now the slopes are not soo steeper and soon we reached the east ridge of Vis. From here we can look down in to the airy north face where comes up one of the hardest ferratas in Julian Alps, Gola Nord-est.

We ascend below the east ridge over some shelters to the summit of Vis.

We descend by the same route or we can use some other routes. See the main page for more information.

Essential Gear

Good hiking shoes, helmet and self-secured system.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.