VW, VC and The Castle!

VW, VC and The Castle!

When I first visited the Capitol Reef NP Visitor Center in 1982, I think a WOW escaped from my lips, followed by "far out, Man!" Never mind the red VW-van parked out front, I think it belongs to the manager of a large chain of "health food" stores, or perhaps one of the Park's employees. YES, it had a PEACE SIGN displayed in the rear window! There's a "long-running joke" how visitors would actually get the natural formation 'The Castle' confused with the VC (Visitor Center). After several people scratched their heads trying to figure out where the doorway or "portal" was going into a solid sandstone layer of rock, a Park employee eventually posted a sign out in front of the actual Visitor Center, which is the building with the flag pole and walkway in front of it! The Park's Visitor Center, an attractive structure of native sandstone, was dedicated in 1967. South of the Visitor Center, the road passes through the settlement of FRUITA (elevation 5,418'). Local fruit became renowned for quality, and eventually the settlement contained hundreds of trees bearing several varities of apples, peaches and cherries, as well as Bartlett Pears, apricots, and even Concord grapes. Fruit brought badly needed cash; however, distance from markets, poor roads and other problems beset early growers. Today orchards are maintained by the National Park Service, and the fruit is harvested mainly by the public at a modest charge. For your convenience, here's a topo!
lcarreau
on Feb 17, 2008 6:26 pm
Image Type(s): Hiking,  Informational,  Scenery
Image ID: 381479

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Feb 18, 2008 4:37 am - Voted 10/10

Capitol Reef

Larry, that is a nice classic photo. Capitol Reef is a great place and has a lot of interesting rock formations. You can attach your photos to this Page if you like.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Feb 18, 2008 12:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Capitol Reef

Thanks, Melinda. It's a classic or vintage
photo of an area I must return to. Aaron
has a great page on this one. A lot of people
think these photos are OLD, but if you look
at the entire picture, you can see that
everything is OLD on this planet. Perhaps...
OLD is a good thing to have around! Cheers.
: - ))))

Viewing: 1-2 of 2