Waterrock Knob Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.46400°N / 83.138°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike.
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up.
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

There is only one trail to the summit of which I'm aware. It begins at the end of the parking lot at the Waterrock Knob Visitor's Center at Milepost 451.2 of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Route Description

View from the top.
View from Waterrock Knob.

The Waterrock Knob Trail is only one-half mile in length. About .2 miles of it is paved. However, the trail climbs a little over 500 feet in that length and the trail is very steep. I've hiked it three times (only takes a few minutes if you're in decent shape) and I always see red-faced tourists with bug-eyes and expressions of total desperation trying to make the summit. Many turn back before the half-way point.
Part of the trail. It s a...Steep hike.

Essential Gear

Good shoes. Hiking staff, if you want it. I never hike without my trekking pole, even on short hikes.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.