Wesley-John Traverse

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.13700°N / 118.631°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

On the traverseClass 3 scrambling along the ridge

The traverse between Point Wesley (middle summit) and Point John (west summit) is a highly enjoyable scramble along mostly solid granite. The description given here travels west along the crest, but it can be travelled just as easily in the opposite direction. The most difficult section is a loose chute just west of Point Wesley that must be descended to a notch. Once at the notch, traverse around the north side of the ridge and downclimb slabs to the crest of the ridge.

The ridge can be followed almost directly the entire way without ever deviating more than about 15 feet from the crest. The rock quality improves as one moves westward, with the final climb to Point John having the best scrambling.

Getting There

Find your way to the summit of either Point John or Point Wesley. From there, the route takes you to the opposite summit. Point John is most easily approached from Echo Lake, while the quickest way to Point Wesley is via Sunset Lake. It is also easy to reach this route from the summit of Point Powell as the connecting ridge to Point Wesley is easy class 2.

Essential Gear

Sturdy boots are all that are needed. Snow found in Spring conditions will likely warrant additional gear and attention.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.