Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Guyzo

Guyzo - Feb 11, 2009 11:12 pm - Voted 8/10

Thanks

Thank you for putting up some good info. How about some more.

Guy Keesee

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Feb 11, 2009 11:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks

Thanks Guy,
Believe me, I'm trying.
Working on another page on the South Face, and The Nose-an overhanging crack- of Gibraltar now.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Feb 12, 2009 6:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great rock!

hahaha...LOL Borut. You suggest that may be I could make a million on that rock. Tell you what, if you figure out how to make a million on that rock, let me know and I'll split the million with you.
Well, as far the one photo that I was asking "No need to vote" I had already used that photo before, and for my page I cropped it a bit to show more of the rock and less of the brush.

As for my friend Van's photo without leg loops, he just doesn't like them, and I'm sure he would not have come out of the harness had he fallen. In fact, long before the invention of harnesses, with leg loops and padding and every kind of comfort, I used to tie directly tie into the climbing rope.
That tells you something about my age, but it also tells you something about how long I've been messing around on the rocks.

I just remembered a little story that I like to share with you.
My very first harness with leg loops was a Chiounard harness with a 2 inch nylon webbing waistband, and one inch webbing for legloops. One crazy night I got together with three buddies
and climbed up a highway bridge over a gorge. We tied our climbing ropes to underneath of the bridge and took turns to jump 150 feet into the gaping mouth of darkness. We knew we would not hit the bottom. After the jump, the other three would just pull you back up. No, Van wasn't there, but two who were there are the ones you see on my TR "Late Season Fools on Liberty Ridge."
Go figure, 2 inch webbing for the waist, and 11 mm dynamic climbing rope to jump with. Dick jumped too but he was balck and blue around the waist for a couple weeks. I was, let me see,
40ish. Trust me, I promissed to never do it again, and I haven't.

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Feb 13, 2009 4:53 pm - Voted 10/10

Good Stuff

You might attach this to your Gibraltar Rock page.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Feb 13, 2009 5:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good Stuff

Thank you, I totally forgot. It will be done.

Thanks for the visit and the comment,
Marc

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Feb 19, 2009 6:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: GREAT!!!

You lead T-crack with that horrible, unprotected mantle? I am short and always had a hard time reaching the short ceiling after the mantle. That move, originally rated at 5.8 was harder that any 5.11s I've ever done. I have seen friends solo T-crack, and The Nose, but never seen any of them do the mantle solo.
By the way, I called the Forest Service and found out that the rules have changed, and you do not need a pass to park along Gibraltar Rd. I have already corrected the information in my page. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Happy climbing,
Marc

brutus of wyde

brutus of wyde - Feb 19, 2009 9:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: GREAT!!!

Tha mantle wasn't bad, pro at your feet (toe-level, literally) when you start, and of course I didn't on-sight it.

As I said, I was teaching gymnastics at the time, and was in really good shape, upper body-wise.

Good news about the parking pass thing. Glad to help!

Brutus

erykmynn

erykmynn - Feb 19, 2009 11:45 am - Hasn't voted

front page

happy to see a santa barbara page on the front page!

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Feb 19, 2009 1:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: front page

Thank you erykmynn. I think it was about time too. I have several more pages on Santa Barbara climbing in the pipeline.

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Return to 'West Face of Gibraltar Rock' main page