West Slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.76800°N / 109.833°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From near the center of Vernal along Highway 40, turn north at the sign for Maeser and follow the road north to 500 North. Turn west here and follow 500 North to 3500 West. Turn north here. There is a sign for Red Cloud Loop Road. Follow the Red Cloud Loop Road through Dry Canyon. If you have time, make sure to stop at the pictographs and petroglyphs along the way.

The road becomes a good gravel road at the Forest Service boundary. Follow the Red Cloud Loop all the way to a major junction with the road to Hacking Lake. A sign points the way to Hacking Lake, and follow the road to near Hacking Lake. Instead of turning left at the lake, follow the main road right and to its end. This is the trailhead.

Route Description

From the trailhead, follow the trail/old road west a short distance to a junction. Turn left here, and follow the trail/cairned route south and around the east ridge of Leidy Peak. This is at 1.1 miles from the trailhead. The trail fades in places, but is marked with cairns.

Once around the east ridge, the trail skirts a large marshy area, and heads to the south side of the mountain. The trail then climbs up to a bench west of here, and heads northwest. Just before a junction, you will leave the trail and climb to the NNE up the obvious grassy slopes. There is no trail, but the route is easy. This is the easiest route to the summit of a 12,000 foot peak in the Uinta Mountains.

The total one-way distance to the summit is 3.7 miles with about 1300 feet total elevation gain.


Essential Gear

A good pair of boots is needed.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.