Western Ascent: Scala 'e Pradu

Western Ascent: Scala 'e Pradu

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.26190°N / 9.43980°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Oliena follow the signs towards Monte Maccione. The road winds through Oliena before climbing steeply towards Supramonte. At the restaurant "Monte Maccione" - which can be used as a base for climbing Punta Carabidda and Punta Ortu Camminu - look for a parking place for your car.

Route Description


Altitude Gain: 950m
Duration: 2h 30min
Difficulty: Hike and Scramble
Trailhead: Restaurant "Monte Maccione"
Punta Ortu Camminu photo_id=100752

The first part of this ascent is a hike along a rarely frequented forest road. It starts from the trailhead at restaurant Monte Maccione and follows the road for some 500m. Here a path to the left of the road makes for a shortcut but finally joins the road again after 3km. Follow the road to its end at Scala 'e Pradu. It winds through meadows with beautiful old oaks.

From the Scala head directly in the direction of Punta sos Nidos. At first there is a trail which leads to a little Madonna statue, from there on you better decide for yourself for the best route. There are marks - little heaps of stones but they are placed irregularly and I got the impression that there are more than one route marked like this. It gets quite cunfusing. So - better use your own judgement. The summit cannot be missed and the worst thing that can happen is that you do some detours.

Punta Sos Nidos  photo_id=100749Punta Sos Nidos  photo_id=100750Punta Sos Nidos  photo_id=100752

Essential Gear


Hiking gear is sufficient. You can combine the route with an additional ascent of Punta Carabidda, Punta Ortu Caminu and Monte Corrasi. This is going to be a long hike and you definitely want to bring water.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.