Wilson Peak - the Legal Way

Wilson Peak - the Legal Way

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing

Introduction

As many of you know, Wilson Peak is mired in a private property dispute along its standard route. Not only is the traditional access via Silver Pick Basin closed, but the Rock of Ages saddle and much of the Southwest Ridge is too. What to do? Why the Northwest Face of course!

Shanahan96, jamienellis and I climbed this route May 26, 2007 and found great continuous snow and no private property concerns. Here are some photos of our journey.

km_donovan's route description: Northwest Face

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
rasgoat

rasgoat - May 28, 2007 8:32 pm - Voted 10/10

sure is lot o snow down there!

Crazy! aint ya got no warm weather yet?

chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - May 29, 2007 10:08 am - Hasn't voted

Re: sure is lot o snow down there!

They got about 18 inches last Tuesday, but actually this weekend was quite pleasant. Lots of wet slides the later part of last week as a result though! Its going to take a long time to melt out all the winter snowpack in the San Juans this year :-)

jwproulx

jwproulx - May 29, 2007 8:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Awesome!!!

I've been hoping to get some beta on the conditions down there. Looks incredible. I might have to hit that in the next couple of weeks! Thanks for the pictures.

chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - May 29, 2007 9:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome!!!

Thanks, take a look at Kevin Donovan's route, linked above, for a great map to help navigate around the private property. Definitely try and get this while the snow is still good!

jwproulx

jwproulx - Jun 4, 2007 4:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome!!!

Still pretty good!

I hit the ridge about 100 yards from the summit yesterday (6/4/07) -- perhaps a bit farther than ou did -- so I had a bit of scrambling to finish. I climbed to the (SW) of the summit, but it looked like you could also finish to the north. No continuous snow line left either way, but pretty close. Pretty much the whole face slid since you guys were there -- just continuous avalanche debris over almost the whole NW bowl.

chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - Jun 4, 2007 5:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome!!!

Glad you had a good trip, it doesn't surprise me too much that it slid. There was some wet slide evidence below the cliffs when we climbed and a small one came down while we were having our lunch in the basin. I think a lot of the newer snow that area had was just going off in general, we saw tons of wet slides in the surrounding mountains that weekend.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.