Wind Storm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wind Storm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 40.40800°N / 105.71°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 7, 2004
We left the on the west ridge route (we being myself and my two climbing partners) around eight fifteen for Sundance Mountain. Everything went smoothly until we got to the ridge. As soon as we go even within a hundred or so feet, the wind started howling. It was one of the most ferocious winds I've ever been in. Climbing up the summit ridge wasn't too tough since the wind just pushed us up. There were a few times though when pushing over was more like it. At one point we had to crawl on our hands and knees towards the summit. After about an hour of battling the rough winds we were finally on the summit. The view is incredible from the top and luckily the wind started to calm a little which means it was still in the 30-40s. As we headed down from the summit our feelings were that of a little more sense of accomplishment. The winds we met that day are definately the strongest I've ever been in or plan to be in any time soon. We estimated the winds to be in the 50s-60s with some occasional gusts up into the 80s. It was a crazy day but one we'll always remember.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sundance MountainTrip Reports