Y-gullies

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.47140°N / 110.4656°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Difficulty: AI2
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

These are the two obvious gullies, left and right, that form a prominent "y" on the north face.
While I can't put up a truly A+ page on this route, I had to at least get it out there, because it is a real classic.

Getting There

Both are accessed in a straightforward fashion from either end of pine creek lake. See the rest of the mountain's page for directions to the lake.

Route Description

Left Gully: Perhaps the better of the two, this couloir ascends almost directly to the summit. About 45 degree alpine ice, w/ water ice later in the season. Rock on the right side of the gully is reportedly sound for pro/belays. Can melt out somewhat later in the year exposing climbers to excessive amounts of rock fall.

Right Gully: Very similar to the left, technically speaking. You obviously have to jog across to the summit after completing the gully portion of the climb.

Both climbs are @ 1000'
Beware of rockfall, particularly later in the season(obviously).

Descent: Scramble down Northwest ridge and snowfields back to the lake.

Essential Gear

-light alpine rack
-rope(s)
-a couple deadmen or screws, depending on conditions
-crampons
-one or two ice tools/axe depending on conditions
-standard alpine gear relative to season

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.