Zahomec / Monte Acomizza / Schoenwipfel from Val Bartolo

Zahomec / Monte Acomizza / Schoenwipfel from Val Bartolo

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.54629°N / 13.52005°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Val Bartolo is a nice valley coming from Bartolo saddle in the Main Carnic Alps ridge down into Val Canale. It can be the trailhead for the ascent on Ojstrnik as well, but that tour is a bit longer and we must probably descend by the same route. So, here I will describe the ascent on Zahomec / Monte Acomizza / Schoenwipfel, 1813 m, which rises just west of the valley. The distinct grassy summit is an unsurpassable panoramic point! This tour can be done almost any time of a season. In summer it's a half day hiking tour on a nice panoramic peak. A round tour is also possible, the descent goes partly by an unmarked path. In winter this can be a nice, easy ski tour. All right, most of it goes by mountain roads, so may be it can be recommended more for days when higher mountains are too dangerous. If not enough snow, you can take also short skis only (as we did). And thirdly, Zahomska planina / Achomitzer Alm can be also a goal of a very nice mountain bike tour. After reaching the huts, you ascend also the summit and then bike down towards the south. You pass Cima Muli (and its hut) and descend directly in Camporosso / Žabnica by a nice, panoramic mountain road.

Getting There

In Val BartoloIn Val Bartolo
Val BartoloVal Bartolo
The trailhead is on the parking place in Val Bartolo, where the road into valley is closed for public traffic (950 m). From the main road through Val Canale you deter towards the north, reaching the eastern part of Camporosso / Žabnica, then drive a bit more towards the east and enter the picturesque Val Bartolo. The valley of Bartolo is a popular hike destination. Broad alpine meadows at the end of the valley are hosting a lot of old houses, many of them today weekend huts. There are many restaurants too, offering food and beverages in summer.

Route Description

Towards the summitTowards the summit
From the parking place we go up the valley by the road. After the last huts the road starts to ascend a bit steeper again. It makes a long turn right, after doing it, there is a crossroads where you take a weaker left mountain road. The shortcut soon brings you on the main ridge, on the border between Italy and Austria. There you hit the Karnischer Hoehenweg / Traversata Carnica, the long-distance hiking route, marked with No. 03 and 403. You continue left through the woods and in a few minutes hit the mountain road which goes up on Zahomska planina / Achomitzer Alm. Now you can either follow the mountain road (longer) or you can on the next alpine meadow (cca 1300 m) ascend on the main ridge and continue by the marked path which goes there. After 175 m of altitude that path comes on the mountain road again and you have the same dilemma again. In summer and in good snow conditions you best continue in the vicinity of the main ridge. The path brings you on a nice grassy shoulder from where you ascend the main summit either directly or by going left or right around and then on top. In summer 2 h 30 min for ascent.
Julian Alps from the NWEastern Julian Alps
Western Julian AlpsWestern Julian Alps
Ojstrnik/Oisternig from the SEOjstrnik/Oisternig
In good conditions you can ski down also towards the east, otherwise it is best to ski towards the NW to the huts and then down by the road or by shortcuts. If you want to do in summer (so, without skiing ambitions) a round tour, you can descend towards the south. On the saddle below Cima Muli you hit the marked path No. 508 which comes from the right and continue by it. You go around Cima Muli by the eastern side and reach the forrest house Cima Muli, 1495 m. Good hundred meters below, already on the mountain road you can deter left and continue by the ex marked path towards the east. It comes down into Val Bartolo just on the parking place.
Verso est dall  AcomizzaClaudioNC - Towards the east
Tramonto dall  AcomizzaClaudioNC - Sunset

Essential Gear

Good shoes and poles or in winter usual tour skiing equipment. Can be short skis as well.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.