Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.20850°N / 105.1921°W
Additional Information County: Custer
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10188 ft / 3105 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Aspen meadow west of Adobe PeakAspen meadow west of Adobe Peak

Rising to over 10,000 feet in the Wet Mountains, this gentle hump of a hill provides a pleasant spot to stop and enjoy the views from its semi-wooded summit. Stunning long-range views are available west of the peak. From the summit, views to the south include Greenhorn Mountain and several Wet Mountain neighbors.

Sit and relax on this summit, clearly marked by a large cairn, enjoying the wind in the pines and watch the Mountain Mahogany sway in the breeze. This simple peak may not offer thrills, but convenient proximity to Pueblo, Colorado, and the southern Colorado Springs metro area make this an outing within easy reach.


Colorado Rank: Unranked
Prominence: 248 feet
Mountain Range: Wet Mountains
USGS Quad: Hardscrabble Mountain
Maps: Trails Illustrated has yet to cover this lovely area. Useful maps include: The USGS Hardscrabble Mountain Quad (for detailed navigation) and the San Isabel National Forest area map.

Rank & Prominence Info: Lists of John

Getting There & Red Tape

South toward GreenhornSouth toward Greenhorn
USGS Marker, Adobe PeakUSGS Marker, Adobe Peak

Getting There: Adobe Peak sits about 32 miles as the crow flies to the west of Pueblo and 17 miles south of Cañon City. Adobe Peak is bordered to the south by CO Hwy 96 and to the east by Hwy 67.

Red Tape: There is little red tape in this part of the San Isabel National Forest. Please tread lightly on the land!

Camping & Lodging

Sangre de CristosSangre de Cristos west of Adobe Peak
Adobe Peak canine companionAdobe Peak canine companion

There is ample camping on the dirt Forest Service roads near the peak. Ensure you are on public land before settling in!

National Forest Campgrounds

Campground NameElevationSitesNightly RateSeasonNotes
St. Charles8,800 ft.15$15May through OctoberNear Lake Isabel Recreation Area
Ophir8,900 ft.30$15Late May to early SeptemberVery close to Bishop's Castle
Davenport8,500 ft.12$13Late May to early SeptemberClose to Ophir CG
Oak Creek7,600 ft.16FreeYear-RoundLowest elevation; Closest to Cañon City; No water
La Vista8,600 ft.27$15-$19 (RV)Mid-April through Mid-OctoberOnly CG in San Isabel NF with electric hookups


Cañon City
This community has a few limited lodging options, mostly on the simple end of the spectrum. Visit this page for more information about lodging in the Cañon City area.

Pueblo
This city of more than 100,000 residents has a reasonable selection of hotels and restaurants for visitors. Visit this page for more information about lodging in and around Pueblo.

Weather & Seasons

Adobe Peak SummitAdobe Peak Summit


The Wet Mountains generally tend to be warmer and drier than most mountain ranges in Colorado.

Summer: Expect summers to be relatively hot compared to other mountainous areas of Colorado.

Fall: The autumn leaf display in the Wet Mountains is simply spectacular. In addition the ubiquitous golden-hued Aspen, these mountains also boast thick stands of orange-to-crimson Gamble Oak.

Winter: Nowhere near as high or steep as the Sangre de Cristo Mountains to their west, many of the Wet Mountain summits sit below timberline. Combined with a generally smaller snow-pack, much (though not all!) of the Wet Mountains can be enjoyed in snow season without that tingling fear of avalanche experienced in much of the Colorado high country.

Spring: The snows will typically melt earlier in the Spring in the Wet Mountains than in other, higher ranges and mountains to the north.

Zone Forecast for Wetmore, CO



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Wet MountainsMountains & Rocks