Arnplattenspitze

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.39263°N / 11.20910°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7119 ft / 2170 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

ArnplattenspitzeArnplattenspitze as seen from Große Arnspitze


Arnplattenspitze, sometimes also called Hintere Arnspitze, is a bold looking rock spire at the southern end of the highest parts of Arnspitzen ridge. This ridge separates Leutasch valley from Scharnitz valley and is itself separated by these valleys from Wetterstein and Karwendel mountains. Thus leading a sort of “lonely life”, Arnspitzen ridge attracts attention.

Nearly every mountain has its “soft side”, offering an easy normal route for “normal” mountaineers. This, too, is the case with the south side of Arnplattenspitze. Despite of the steep and bold appearance of the summit rock, a system of gullys, chutes, cracks ledges and short rock faces with excellent holds enables an easy and enjoyable short climb to the summit cross. This last part requires rock scrambling with some UIAA grade I + to II – moves on the normal route and some UIAA grade II moves on the north side when doing the traverse to Große Arnspitze.

This is why Arnplattenspitze is an often visited mountain, despite of its bold appearance. Situated between Mittlere Arnspitze to the north and the much lower Weißlehnkopf, Arnplattenspitze is a main target for tourists in summer and often summited by locals in autumn.

Like Große Arnspitze, Arnplattenspitze offers astonishing views into Karwendel, Wetterstein and to the south. Three summit routes can be combined to interesting traverses. And the rather short 1.000 meters of altitude difference from Leutasch valley floor to the summit cross makes Arnplattenspitze a nice half days hike.


Getting There

ArnplattenspitzeArnplattenspitze as seen from Hoher Sattel route


Main trailheads for Arnplattenspitze are:

Leutasch / Arn
Scharnitz / Giessenbach
Große Arnspitze

You reach Leutasch Arn

  • From Munich via highway A 95 to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and road number B 2 to Mittenwald. From Mittenwald use Leutascher Straße (signposts) into the Leutasch valley. Go on to Leutasch Puitbach and Arn. Turn on the road “Arn” and proceed to the bridge across Leutascher Ache (parking area).

  • From Kufstein, Innsbruck or Arlberg region follow the highway A 12 (Inntal highway, fee required) to the exit Zirl. At Zirl proceed on road number 177 to Seefeld and on road L 14 to Leutasch Weidach. After the gas station turn right on road Weidach and proceed to Leutasch Emmat and Arn. Park your car where it is possible.

  • Alternatively follow Buchener Straße (number L 35) from Telfs / Inntal valley up to Leutasch Platzl, Leutasch Gasse and Leutasch Weidach. Turn left on road Weidach in front of the gas station and proceed to Leutasch Emmat and Arn.


  • You reach Scharnitz / Giessenbach
  • From Munich via highway A 95 to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and road number B 2 to Mittenwald and Scharnitz. Keep on that road, now Austrian number 177 until you reach the small village of Giessenbach, 1,5 km southwest of Scharnitz. Turn right on road Giessenbach and park your car where it is possible.

  • From Kufstein, Innsbruck or Arlberg region follow the highway A 12 (Inntal highway, fee required) to the exit Zirl. At Zirl proceed on road number 177 to Seefeld and Giessenbach. Go on as described above.


  • Große Arnspitze as starting point for the Arnspitzen traverse.

    ArnplattenspitzeScharnitz / Giessenbach
    Arnplattenspitzenear Leutasch / Arn
    ArnplattenspitzeGroße Arnspitze




    Routes Overview

    arnplattenspitzeRoutes Overview



    Hoher Sattel route:

    From Leutasch / Arn parking area follow the forest road up to Hoher Sattel.
    Alternatively follow the forest road to Hoher Sattel, starting at Scharnitz / Giessenbach parking area, to its end and ascend on the trail to the end of the forest road from Leutasch to Hoher Sattel.

    At Hoher Sattel take the trail (signposts) in northern direction leading into the woods and ascending to a huge scree fan above the woods. Ascend the (hot) south slopes of Weißlehnkopf using the steep but good trail up to a broad col between Weißlehnkopf and Arnplattenspitze (trail junction with Weißlehnkopf trail). Follow the ridge trail in eastern direction, changing to the north side an ascending to the steep summit rock. Climb the summit rock by following the route marks.

    ArnplattenspitzeArnplattenspitze, seen from Hoher Sattel
    ArnplattenspitzeHoher Sattel route, Karwendel view
    ArnplattenspitzeWeißlehnkopf, Dreitorspitze in the back



    Weißlehnkopf route:

    From Leutasch / Arn parking area follow the forest road to Hoher Sattel for a short distance. At the beginning of the woods take a left hand trail which winds itself steeply up to Zwirchkopf, a first secondary summit within Arnspitzen ridge. Continue on that trail to Arnkopf and Weißlehnkopf ans descend shortly to the trail junction with Hoher Sattel route. Go on as described above.

    ArnplattenspitzeSummit block normal route
    ArnplattenspitzeSummit block normal route
    ArnplattenspitzeSummit block normal route



    Traverse Große Arnspitze – Arnplattenspitze

    An excellent outing, the best one in the Arnspitzen area. The route is described here. The route is partly without trail and requires rock climbing / UIAA grade II (when done without Mittlere Arnspitze) to III (when done with Mittlere Arnspitze).

    ArnplattenspitzeWeißlehnkopf route
    ArnplattenspitzeMittlere Arnspitze and Arnplattenspitze
    ArnplattenspitzeArnplattenspitze, traverse to Große Arnspitze



    Red Tape & Accommodation

    Red Tape

    No restrictions as far as I know.


    Accommodation

    Leutasch
    Scharnitz
    Mittenwald
    Seefeld

    Mountain Huts

    Arnspitzhütte; open shelter, not guarded.


    Gear & Mountain Condition

    ArnplattenspitzeSummit block






    Arnplattenspitze normal routes are advanced hikes for late spring, summer and autumn until the first snow.

    The summit block requires some rock climbing with moves up to UIAA grade II-.

    A helmet for the summit block is recommended.

    The traverse from Arnplattenspitze to Große Arnspitze is partly off-trail and requires rock climbing up to UIAA grade I and II. Fear of heights isn´t a good idea for this traverse.

    Current Weather:



    Maps & Guide Book

    ArnplattenspitzeEvening light on Arnplattenspitze






    Maps

    Alpenvereinskarte, scale 1 : 25.000, number 4/3, Wetterstein und Mieminger Gebirge, Ost, trails, with UTM grid, München 2011

    Bayerische Topographische Karte, scale 1 : 50.000, map number UK50-51, Karwendel, Landesamt für Vermessung und Geoinformation Bayern, 2008, with UTM-grid for GPS


    Guide Book

    Stefan Beulke, Alpenvereinsführer Wetterstein, Bergverlag Rother, 4th edition,
    1996



    Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    WettersteingebirgeMountains & Rocks