Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.73497°N / 19.28557°E
Additional Information Elevation: 6926 ft / 2111 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Most spectacular peaks of Maganik

Babini Zubovi from Međeđi VrhBabini Zubovi from the summit of Međeđi Vrh (2139 m)
The massif of MAGANIK stretches in east-west/northwest direction. That beautiful and impressive range with its unique outlook is for sure one of the most spectacular and unique mountain range of Montenegro. Maganik is an aloof group of impressive limestone formations. The geological composition of Maganik is made of cretaceous bank limestone. The base of this mountain range from the Niksic side and the Moraca River valley is made up of Triassic limestone. The most spectacular group of the peaks in Maganik are Babini Zubovi (2111 m) (Grandmother's Teeth). That impressive high vertical walls and cliffs attrack the attention of everyone who visit Maganik and its incredible massif. Babin Zub (Grandmother's Tooth) is well known because of a plane crash which happened in 1973. Still today you can find some pieces of that plane below the cliffs of Babin Zub. Babini Zubovi with its form and cliffs remind a little beat on Italian Dolomites. That peaks are placed in central part of eastern Maganik, on the north side from Međeđi Vrh (2139 m) as a highest peak of Maganik. The southwestern side of Babini Zubovi looking to Maganičko Polje, while its northeastern side looking in direction of Morača Canyon, Donja Morača (Prekobrdje) and to Sinjajevina range. The view from Babini Zubovi is very attractive, specially to Međeđi Vrh as a closest neighbour and to Kokotov Vrh, separated from Babini Zubovi by deep rocky basin called Štrbina. Also, from the summit of Babin Zub you can nicely see Sinjajevina range with its highest peak Babji Zub (2277 m), Moračke Planine-Moraca Mountains with its peaks Lukanje Čelo and Tali, Žijovo-Kučke Planine range and the area of Donja Morača (Prekobrdje). Finally, hiking below and around the Babini Zubovi massif is also an extraordinary adventure and experience.

Getting There

Southwestern side of spectacular Babini Zubovi massif Photo: Vladimir Sremčević
Kokotov Vrh summit viewBabini Zubovi and Međeđi Vrh from Kokotov Vrh
MaganikBabin Zub
You can choose to approach Babini Zubovi from three sides - from Niksic via Laz-Kutsko Brdo-Rekocica-Maganicko Polje, from Medjurijecje via Mrtvo Duboko village and from Velje Duboko village. By plane: The closest airport is the one in Podgorica (70km away). If you are planning to come via Serbia, you can use the Belgrade (Beograd) Airport in Beograd (Belgrade) city, capital of Serbia and Montenegro. Information about flights and tickets on JAT Airways web page. By train: Beograd - Kolašin (Bar - Beograd) railway passes through Mojkovac and Kolasin. Then by car or taxi from Kolasin to Međuriječje or Nikšić. By Bus: From Beograd (Belgrade): Beograd (Belgrade) - Cacak - Uzice - Zlatibor - Nova Varos - Prijepolje - Bijelo Polje - Mojkovac - Kolasin Then by car or taxi from Kolasin to Međuriječje or Nikšić. From Podgorica: Podgorica - Međuriječje Podgorica - Nikšić For the bus tickets and informations about but lines see Belgrade Bus Station page. By car: From Beograd (Belgrade): Beograd (Belgrade) - Cacak - Uzice - Zlatibor - Nova Varos - Prijepolje - Bijelo Polje - Mojkovac - Kolasin - Međuriječje (or Nikšić) From Podgorica: Podgorica - Međuriječje (or Nikšić)
The map of Maganik area
You should drive along the central Montenegrin highway, which connects the seaside to the towns: Cetinje - Podgorica - Kolasin - Mojkovac - Bijelo Polje; and goes on to Serbia (Belgrade city). This road is passable during most part of the year. It is closed only in case of abundant snowing or great rockslides. The landscape along the highway is particularly picturesque in the segment of the Moraca River Canyon between Podgorica and Kolasin. This part of the canyon is called “Platije”. The highway is built along the edge of the narrow canyon. Thus, you can enjoy in observing the beautiful contrast between steep, dark cliffs and light, green river, while round, white peaks of Bjelasica glow in the distance. At moments, this beauty becomes scary!

Camping

If you approaching Babini Zubovi from Morača Canyon via Međuriječje, the optimal place to stay is Mrtvo Duboko village, placed below the massif of Međeđi Vrh. Also, the massif of Maganik is surrounded by many katuns (lodges) where people living on the mountain only during summer. Known katuns are Rekocica, Maganik, Poljana, Vragodo, Ogradjenik, Zabrdje, Razbijena Jela, Magline, Stanjevica Rupa, Besovica Katun and others, where you can freely use your tent for camping or stay in free shepherd's lodges.

Meteo Info

Before the visit of Babini Zubovi check the meteo info for Kolašin and Nikšić.

Red Tape

No extra fees.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

MaganikMountains & Rocks