Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 22.69299°S / 45.7261°W
Additional Information County: Sao Bento do Sapucai
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Aid Climbing, Big Wall
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5774 ft / 1760 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pedra do Bau at center and...
Bauzinho is the leftmost mountain.
Bauzinho is the mountain directly east of Pedra do Bau, and part of the Baú Complex, the highest being Pedra do Baú. It is located in the municipality of São Bento do Sapucaí, state of São Paulo, in Brazil, and is part of the Mantiqueira range.

Its rock is gneiss and climbing is mostly technical face with crimps and some slab, sometimes offering ragged cracks. It's summit can also be reached by trail. The face is 200 m high from the lowest point on the north face to its summit.

The mountain has dozens of routes – sport, trad and aid, and is considered an intermediate to advanced mountain for rock climbers. Many of the routes requires pros and the ones that are entirely protected with fixed gear are usually delicate slab climbs not recommended for the beginner climber. The south face is known for its holdless, exposed and demanding trad lines.

Getting There

By car
Coming from Sao Paulo or Rio de Janeiro access is by Via Dutra (up to Taubaté), SP-123 (up to 046-SP) and SP-173.
By bus
The carrier Pássaro Marrom has two daily buses that serve the town of Sao Bento do Sapucai, the line is Sao Paulo-Brasopolis (Passaro Marrom). By January 2014 tickets are around R$ 41 (US$ 17) one way.

Reaching the base of the routes
There are three ways to reach base of the routes. You can park your car in the Bau parking lot and descend the regular trail to the south face or Fausto trail (very exposed!) to reach the routes on the south face. The north face can also be reached via the trail that starts at the Bau restaurant, but it takes much longer.

Routes

North face - Trad
  • Normal do Bauzinho
    1 pitch mostly 3rd class scramble, can be reached by rappelling from the summit, crowded with beginners on most days of good weather
  • Fissura Corneto
    5.9, acess via the Col, bring pros
  • Neuronios Fritos
    5.9 with 5.11 crux, A3, 5 pitches, this is a big wall classic and usually requires a bivouac on the wall. Bring nuts, friends, TCUs, pitons and cliffs
  • Malacrida
    5.10, A1, 6 pitches, bring two complete sets of friends and two 60m ropes
  • Dança da Chuva
    5.10, 3 pitches, bring pros. This route is can be accessed at the second belay station of V de Vingança
  • V de Vingança
    5.8 with a 5.10 crux, 6 pitches, this is one of the classics of Bauzinho, and can be reached by walking around the north face. It starts with a long dihedral.
  • Homem Pássaro
    5.10, 5 pitches, bring friends
  • Galba Athaide
    5.8 with 5.9 smearing crux, 4 pitches. This is the easiest multi pitch route on the north face but with a nasty and exposed smearing crux


South Face - Trad

  • Paredão Tudo Bem
    5.10, 3 pitches, bring pros, rapel only possible from the first belay station
  • Fissura Chove e Nao Molha
    5.12, 2 pitches, bring pros
  • Easy Lover
    5.10 with 5.11 crux, 2 pitches, accessed by the south side trail, bring pros
  • Insanity
    A3 crack, bring nuts, friends, micro friends, cliffs and copperheads, the anchor station is fixed for rapping


South Face - Sport
  • Pede pra sair, 5.13c
  • Qualquer um menos eu, 5.13b
  • Super Man, 5.13a, bring friends to build a belay station on the summit
  • Selivie, 5.12a

Where to stay

Because approaches are so short, nobody camps in the area, aside from most if not all the area surrounding being private property.

There are several inns in the town, and a few climber's huts as well.

The most well known is Montanhismus, owned and operated by renowned brazilian big wall climber Eliseu Frechou. There's also a small store in site with discount, blems and closeout apparel and equipment.

Another option is Nativus, owned by local climber Marcelo Iron who can give beta on several routes and crags in the area.

When to Climb

Being part of the Mantiqueira range, it receives a lot of humidity and precipitation during summer season (October through April). Bauzinho can be visited year around for activities such as hiking, but for rock climbing it is ideal to go between May and September (Brazilian winter), when temperatures are lower, the sun is not as strong, and precipitations is at its minimum. Temperatures in the area can reach freezing levels in July.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Serra da MantiqueiraMountains & Rocks