Bear Canyon/Baldy Village Trail

Bear Canyon/Baldy Village Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.28890°N / 117.6458°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: walk-up, 5,900 elevation gain
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


In Mt. Baldy Village, park on Bear Canyon Road about 100 yards south of the Mt. Baldy Visitor Center. There is a parking area at the bottom of Bear Canyon Road. Walk up Bear Canyon Road to the end where a sign leads to the trail head.

Route Description


This trail is fairly strenous. It is a no-nonsense trail - steady and steep, uphill all the way. 12 miles round trip with nearly 6,000 feet of elevation gain. The trail is very well used and for a fit hiker should not be a problem at all. Many hikers choose to return via the Baldy Bowl/Sierra Club Ski Hut Route or the Baldy Notch Route and riding the ski lift down. A pre-arranged ride or car shuttle is helpfull to avoid walking or hitch-hiking down to Baldy Village if one chooses to return on either of those routes.

Essential Gear


Water. Snowshoes, crampons and ice axe may be required durning wintertime depending on the snowpack.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-4 of 4

joup - Sep 1, 2003 12:35 am - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

Chiggers are thick for most of the first half of the trail, which skirts the Bear Canyon Creek.

jerryn

jerryn - Sep 15, 2013 5:51 pm - Hasn't voted

parking

It may have been because it was a weekend, but parking by hikers anywhere including the lots on Bear Mountain Road was prohibited. The parking for the trail was either in front of the Visitor Center, on the road or 1/4 mile up the road across from the trout lakes. An adventure pass is needed for the trout lake parking.

spapagiannis

spapagiannis - Sep 20, 2014 5:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Trail CLOSED

As of August 23, 2014 per ANF Mt. Baldy Ranger Station: Bear Canyon (Old Baldy) Trail is CLOSED due to a washout from a early/mid-August monsoon. Washout reported by them to be at Bear Flats. Confirmed with ranger station again on September 20, 2014 prior to considering a Baldy 20-mile "Big Loop" trek - Bear Canyon trail is still CLOSED. Confirmed by them that it will remain CLOSED for the rest of this season. Will remain CLOSED until August 2015. All other trails said to be fine though. Have been on some of them after that monsoon and they seemed fine. Actually, Devil's Backbone East and Register Ridge were in better shape then prior to that monsoon rain.

peter612summit - Jul 1, 2016 12:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Water at Bear Flats?

Does anyone know if water is currently flowing at Bear Flats? Thanks!

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.