Black Mountain from Ireteba Peak Black Mountain from Castle Rock
Black Mountain is the prominent peak on the south side of Henderson. A great birds eye view of the strip and Las Vegas can be enjoyed from this summit on the south side of the Las Vegas Valley. This peak, volcanic in origin, has black lava cliffs on the east side of the mountain. Numerous mountain ranges can be viewed from the summit including Red Rocks, Spring Mountains, El Dorodo, Jean Dry Lakes, and much more. Black Mountain can be climbed year round. In the summer though hike early in the day or it will be too hot.
The problem many have with this peak is finding a good parking spot. With so much development in the area old ways to be able to hike this mountain have become outdated.
1. From Las Vegas drive South on I-15.
2. Take exit 34 onto 215 East toward McCarran Airport.
3. Drive 5.7 Miles to the Eastern Ave. Exit (Exit 5)
4. Take Eastern Ave. South for approximately 3.0 miles
5. Merge left onto Anthem Pkwy for 2.4 miles
6. Take a left onto Atchley Dr.
7. Drive for 0.4 miles Atchley Dr. and then turn left onto
Shadow Canyon Dr.
8. Drive for 0.6 miles on Shadow Canyon Dr. Just past the 2200 Block
you will pass Lewiston Pl. on your left then after the 1st house you
will see a small parking area for about 6 vehicles. This is where
Trail Route on NW Ridge
Route via North Ridge
Weather Report for Henderson, NV
External LinksOff The Beaten Path Black Mountain (5,092')
Black Mountain By: Bob Michael
Black Mountain (Nevada)