Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 35.76660°N / 115.11666°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Bouldering, Mixed, Scrambling, Canyoneering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Black MountainBlack Mountain


The McCullough Mountain Range lies in Southern Nevada just south of the Las Vegas Metropolitan area. This mountain range consists of two ends: the northern end and southern end. These ranges vary and do not comprise of a single geological feature.

The northern area of the range was created from volcanic activity. The highlight at the northern end of the range is Black Mountain with an elevation of 5,092 feet. One can find black gramma grass, which is not known to be found anywhere else in Nevada. This section of the range is also contained within Sloan Canyon Conservation Area.
McCullough MountainMcCullough Mountain

The southern end of the McCullough Range is comprised of old metamorphic rock cut by canyons on both the east and west sides. McCullough Mountain is the high point of the entire McCullough Range located in the southern half rising 7,026 feet. Canyons and ridges run in every direction here. This area is challenging for roure finding due to the round ridgetops and winding canyons existing here.

Getting There

This mountain range starts at the south end of the Las Vegas Valley next to Henderson and continues south west of Searchlight, NV and then goes west almost to the California border. Access points are off of HWY 95 between Boulder City and Searchlight as well as from the Stateline on dirt roads heading east. For specific directions for specific peaks in the range refer to "Getting There" sections for specific peaks. (IE Black Mountain or McCullough Mountain).

McCullough Mountain

Red Tape/Camping

This range lies almost entirely on BLM land. Camping is on BLM land is open and free. (Camping is permitted anywhere within 100 feet of a designated road as long is it is not within 1/4 mile of a water source).

For more information contact:

Management Agency:
Bureau of Land Management
Las Vegas Field Office
4701 North Torrey Pines Drive
Las Vegas, Nevada 89130
(702) 515-5000

External Links

  • Volcanoes of the McCullough Range
  • South McCullough Wilderness Jim Boone's detailed page on the South McCullough Wilderness
  • North McCullough Wilderness Area Jim Boone's detailed page on the North McCullough Wilderness
  • Petroglyphs Photos of Petroglyphs found in Sloan Canyon
  • Driving Directions Driving Directions for Sloan Canyon Conservation Area
  • Rock Art Protection An article of Rock art protection in Sloan Canyon


  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    Southern NevadaAreas & Ranges