Page Type Page Type: Trailhead
Location Lat/Lon: 40.57972°N / 105.85548°W
Additional Information County: Larimer
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9520 ft / 2902 m

Overview

Trailhead Signboard
TH parking lot
Located in the Roosevelt National Forest, this TH provides primary access to the main trail network of the Rawah Wilderness, in the southern portion of the Medicine Bow Range, via the Blue Lake Trail.
Usage is heavy in both summer and winter.

Facilities-Small paved parking lot / no restrooms / no water. Primitive restrooms are available a couple hundred yards east, on the south side of the road.

Directions

Locator Map
Blue Lake Trailhead Map
From Fort Collins -Take Hwy 287 (College Ave in town) north to what's known as Ted's Place (Gas station/conveience store). Turn left onto Colo Hwy 14, heading west for approx. 53 miles. The TH is on the right, opposite the Long Draw Road turnoff.

Destinations

Dodad Mountain
Notable peaks accessible from this trailhead would include:
User Profile Image

Clark Peak - 12,951
Lewis Peak (FKA Sickle Mountain) - 12,654
South Rawah Peak - 12,644
Snowbank Peak - 12,522
North Rawah Peak - 12,473
Cameron Peak - 12,127
Dodad Peak - 12,046
The Blue Lake Trail leads, as one might guess, to Blue Lake. The trail continues beyond the lake, tying into the West Branch Trail on the north side of Blue Lake Pass.
The Sawmill Trail is also accessible from this TH. It is located about 150 yards west of the parking lot and heads into the upper Sawmill Creek drainage and the crest of the range just south of Clark Peak.

Camping Options

None at the TH but some dispersed sites are available along the Long Draw Rd which is opposite the TH. Camping is also available 10 miles down the Long Draw Rd at the Long Draw CG and at Chambers Lake CG east of the TH. Additional camping opportunities may be found at campgrounds farther down the Poudre Canyon.
For nearest services, see: Zimmerman Lake TH.

Maps

Arapaho and Roosevelt NF
Blue Lake Trail Sign


USGS Quads
Chambers Lake
Clark Peak
Rawah Lakes

Backcountry Adventure Map for Colorado’s Rawah Wilderness

Red Tape

No permits or fees at this time. Blue Lake area is subject to special regulations. See Rawah Wilderness Regulations for details.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
Clark PeakTrailheads