Buckingham Peak south slope

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.98951°N / 122.7691°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
East from Buckingham Peak
East over Clear Lake from Buckingham Peak
Buckingham Peak, 3,967', is the northern most peak on Mt. Konocti. It rises directly above Clear Lake. This route is a very simple straight forward walk up on the Konocti Road to a clearing with summit towers. The views to the east stretch across the southeast portion of the lake all the way to the Cortina Ridge which rises above Sacramento Valley. The views to the north and west are limited by trees and brush.
The bulk of Mt. Konocti dominates to the south.

There is also an off-shoot road going to the right about 1/4 mile from the top of Buckingham that has much better views to the southeast and Mt. Konocti's north face.

Getting There

 
Konocti Road up Buckingham Peak
Konocti Road up Buckingham Peak
From just off Hwy. 29 on the south side of Clear Lake take the Kelseyville exit Main Street. Go north .35 of a mile. Turn right on Konocti Road 1 mile until it turns into a dirt road. Continue up the mountain 2 miles to the lower parking lot. Another parking lot is located 400 ft. up the road.

Route Description

 
East from Buckingham Peak
East from Buckingham Peak
Go to the left on the road from the parking lot through the gate turnstile.The sign and distance to the peak are posted there. After a short distance you pass through an orchard and up to the Konocti road. Follow the road 1.5 miles to the junction where the bathroom building sits off to the right. Take the Konocti Road to the left anf follow it .8 mile to the summit of Buckingham Peak.

Essential Gear

 
Stumped again!
Sufficiently dressed.
 
Northwest from the Konocti Road
 
Sufficient clothing for the weather. Maybe a snack or lunch. Bring plenty of water in summer and sunscreen. Lake County can get very hot in summer.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.