Howard Peak

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.97345°N / 122.7709°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1 some class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
South from Howard Peak
South from Howard Peak
Howard Peak is the 2nd highest summit on Mt. Konocti .3 mile west of Wright Peak, the highest. An old fire road leads to the top. The summit is smaller than Wright Peak with easy class 3  rocks. The views south, west and north are outstanding. It is 4,286', only 13' lower than Wright. A brief excursion from the main trail to Wright brings you to this less traveled but worthwhile summit..

Getting There

 
Northwest Clear Lake from Howard Peak
Northwest Clear Lake from Howard Peak
From just off Hwy. 29 on the south side of Clear Lake take the Kelseyville exit Main Street. Go north .35 of a mile. Turn right on Konocti Road 1 mile until it turns into a dirt road. Continue up the mountain 2 miles to the lower parking lot. Another parking lot is located 400 ft. up the road.

Route Description

 
route map
 
 
Autumn colors on Mt. Konocti
Autumn colors on Mt. Konocti
Follow the detailed directions in this link until the turn left to Howard Peak at the saddle between Wright and Howard.
 
Or just...

Click on  the this swell map for easy topo route.

Essential Gear

 
Mt. St. Helena from Mt. Konocti
Mt. St. Helena from Howard Peak
Sun screen in hot weather. Warm clothes, windbreaker etc.. Maybe a snack.

Weather and Forecast

 
Northwest shore Of Clear Lake with peaks of the Mendocino National Forest above
Mountains northwest of Clear Lake from Howard Peak
Click here for Clear Lake weather and forecast.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.