Corona Arch (Little Rainbow Bridge) & Bowtie Arch

Corona Arch (Little Rainbow Bridge) & Bowtie Arch

Overview:

Corona and Bowtie Arches sit near Colorado River a few miles to the west of Moab, Utah. Due to its resemblance to the famous Rainbow Bridge, Corona Arch is sometimes referred to as the Little Rainbow Bridge. Some say Corona Arch is so called because it looks like a picture of a solar flare.

A 1.3 mile trail takes the hiker from near the banks of the Colorado River up to a sandy plain and then over slick rock slopes to reach the Bowtie and Corona Arches. Elevation gain is 440 ft. The many alcoves that decorate the walls along the length of the trail add to the beauty of the area. From the base of Corona Arch, railroad tracks can be seen several hundred feet below at the bottom of the Bootlegger canyon.

The opening of Corona Arch is said to be 140 by 105 foot.
Map of Corona Arch TrailMap

Getting There:

From Moab follow Route 191 north. Cross the Colorado River and continue 1.4 miles until you see the sign for State Route 279. Turn left (west) onto this road and follow it just above 10 miles until you see the sign for Corona Arch Trailhead on the right.

Trailhead GPS Coordinates:
38 deg 34.484’ North
109 deg 37.945’ West

The Hike:

Colorado River and Route 279 from near trailhead.
Colorado River & Route 279Colorado River

Follow the trail up a short distance and cross the railroad tracks.
Railroad TracksRailroad Tracks

The trail then goes over a sandy area where walls and alcoves can be seen in all directions.





On Corona Arch Trail
On Corona Arch Trail
On Corona Arch Trail
On Corona Arch Trail



The trail reaches a slick rock area where Corona and Bowtie Arches come to view.




First View of Corona ArchCorona Arch
First View of Bowtie ArchBowtie Arch



You will then reach a safety cable and later an area where steps have been dug into the slick rock slope. After that, you will have to go up a short steel ladder bolted into the rock.
Steps On Corona Arch Trailsteps

Bowtie Arch.
In a spot just below the arch, you will see small flowers growing out of the rock creating small hanging gardens.
Bowtie ArchBowtie Arch





Bowtie ArchBowtie Arch
Hanging GardensHanging Gardens



A little further, you will reach the end of the trail under the Corona Arch.
Corona ArchCorona Arch

Corona ArchCorona Arch





Corona ArchCorona Arch
Corona ArchCorona Arch



Alcoves near Corona Arch.
Alcoves

View of Bootlegger Canyon from Corona Arch.
Bootlegger CanyonBootlegger Canyon

External Links:

BLM Corona Arch Page

Climb-Utah Corona Arch Page

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.