Father Dyer - Mount Helen Ridge

Father Dyer - Mount Helen Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.43100°N / 106.1051°W
Additional Information Route Type: Ridge Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The "start" for this route is the summit of Mount Helen. Use the East Slopes route to the top.

Route Description


This route is an exciting ridge scramble, and can be done in either direction.

From the summit of Mount Helen, descend the ridge to a 12,900 foot saddle. From here, you will ascend the ridge to a high point at 13,400 feet, and then descend again to another 13,200 foot saddle.

The most difficult climbing here is to and from the 13,400 foot highpoint. There is some Class 3 areas and route finding is necessary. The exposure can be great at times. Take your time and ascertain the best and safest route.

This is fairly straightforward, but can be a little confusing. The difficult areas are short.

Route Stats
One-Way Mileage: 1.1 miles
Elevation Gain/Loss: +780, -430





A view of the ridge from Mount Helen's Summit. Late Spring Conditions.



A good view of most of the ridge from Father Dyer's Summit




Essential Gear


A helmet would be a good idea for this route. Ropes or rock pro would probably be not needed.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.