Fluchtkogel

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.84910°N / 10.77620°E
Additional Information Elevation: 11482 ft / 3500 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Fluchtkogl is one of the highest summits in the Weißkamm-range in the Ötztaler mountain range, and in Northern Tyrol.

The mountain itself shows steep ice and rock face only to the north west. It has a broad flat summit and can only be reached by passing glaciers. The Main ascents are from Hochjochhospitz, Brandenburger Haus and Vernagt Hütte.

It is surrounded by the Hochvernagt Spitze (N), Wildspitze (W) and Weißsee Spitze (E). Given the fact that it is also surrounded by mountain huts and the ascent from the Hochjochhospitz is quite easy (but a glacier hike anyway), it is also a very popular summit, especially in the summer months. The three ascent routes are not supposed to be overly difficult, however the glaciers surrounding Fluchtkogel, especially the Guslarferner on the ascent from Vernagt Hütte, show a lot of crevasses.

The trailhead at Vent is located at about 1900m so that a single day ascent, while not impossible, would be a tour de force. Overnight stays at one of the three huts listed below therefore are mandatory.

360° Panorama on the  Fluchtkogl summit

(17.7.2003) On the Fluchtkogel ( 360° Panorama )

Click the photo to see the large annotated version.
More photos, panoramas, wallpapers and trip reports you can find at www.tourplaner-online.de

Getting there


From Innsbruck (east) or Bregenz (west) follow motorway E60 in the direction of the direction of the respective other city. East of Imst (exit 123) turn south on B186 through Ötztal.

For Vent (Martin Busch Hütte and Hochjochhospitz) turn westward through Venter Tal right after you have gone through Sölden.

Huts


Hochjochhospitz, Brandenburger Haus, Vernagt Hütte. See:
Ötztal huts

When to climb


Fluchtkogel can be climbed all year round. The best hiking time is July through September. Winter ski tour ascents are possible from all huts.

Weather Conditions


Follow one of the links below
  • Tyrol Weather Overview
  • Ötztal Weather Listings

    Maps & Books


    Maps

    • Ötztaler Alpen, Weißkugel
      Alpenvereinskarte 30/2
      1:25000
    • Inneres Ötztal-Gurgler Tal - Venter Tal - Pitztal
      Kompass Map WK042
      1:25.000
      Kompass Verlag
      ISBN: 3-85491-600-0
    • Ötztaler Alpen
      Kompass Map WK43
      1:50000
      Kompass Verlag
      ISBN: 3-85491-049-5


    Books
    • Ötztaler Alpen
      Alpenvereinsführer
      W. Klier
      Rother Verlag
      ISBN: 3-7633-1123-8


    Accomodation


    Camping is not allowed in the vicinity of the summits. You should rather visit the huts. In summer, when the huts are full, often you are allowed to camp out near them.

    As for getting rooms and appartments you'll probably encounter no problems. Ötztal is a heavily touristic region (especially in winter) and offers lots of accommodation possibilities. Just click on the following link to be directed to the accommodation page of the official site.



  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    WeisskammMountains & Rocks
     
    Related 

    Friends

    Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.