Gad Valley

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.55170°N / 111.6561°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the 6200 South exit I215, head East and South on 190 2± miles to the intersection with Big Cottonwood Canyon, continue straight on 210 through the light (South) for 4± miles to the mouth of Little Cottonwood, continue straight and East for 5.5± miles to White Pine Trail head for White Pine Lake or continue 1.6± miles to the Snowbird lodge (tramway lift location) for Gad Valley route.

Route Description


3600± of elevation gain
Trail Mileage = 4.1± miles to peak, this is terrain distance.

From the Snowbird lodge cross the bridge adjacent to the Tram lift and jump on the path “Gad Valley Trail/ Dick Bass highway” follow this for a short distance to a “T” take a left here and follow until you reach the top of Wilbur lift. Look for signage “Gad Valley” which should be to the right - the idea is to get into Gad valley ski area. Follow this trail around until you reach the Mid Gad Lodge. Now you will want to reach the top of Gad 2 Lift. So either consult the trail map sign or start up Bassackwards ski run until you reach the base of Little Cloud Ski Lift, stay right on Bassackwards ski run to the top of the Gad 2 lift. From here grab Bananas ski run and follow to a point were leaving the trail and trying to reach the ridgeline to the west is feasible. After reaching the ridge turn southeast and follow up steep inclines until reaching Red Top Mountain. From here turn east and start down to a saddle and back up to American Fork Twins – West summit.

Essential Gear


Nothing technical in the dry months but snow shoes, crampons, ice axe in winter months is recommend.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.