Gazon du Faing is the most northern situated 1300 m peak in the Vosges and the highest elevation of a crest which stretches over 6 km from Dreieck collar in the south to Calvaire collar in the north.
The crest is the continuation of Tanet
, southern located.
5 summits are higher then 1300 meters.
From the south to the north :
- RINGBUHL 1302 m
- GAZON DE FAÎTE 1303 m
- SOULTZER ECK 1302 m
- GAZON DU FAING 1306 m
- HAUTES CHAUMES 1301 m
All these summits are part of the main chain of the Vosges and the GR 5 crosses them. The ascent is easy : the crest slopes as the W face are smooth and remind about toundra landscape. This contrasts with the steep rocky east face with the lakes Lac Blanc, Lac Noir, and Lac des Truites snuggled to the moraines.
Gazon du Faing is near the Route des Crêtes (crest road), in the part between Bonhomme collar and Schlucht collar (D 61)
- Bonhomme collar is between Saint Dié and Colmar
- Schlucht collar is between Gérardmer and Colmar.
The National Reserve of Tanet - Gazon du Faing is an ensemble of moors, high pastures (les chaumes), forest and peatlands. It covers nearly 500 hectares. This site is protected but at the same time supports traditional human activities (pastoralism, exploitation of the forest).
The reserve contains many species of plants and animals which have almost dissappeared in the Vosges.
When To Climb
All the year.
The crest road is closed in winter (no snow cleaning)
Routes for hikers
1) The easiest access is from the Route des CRêtes (crest road). The summit can be reached in 1/2 hour from the farm-inn.
2) GR 5 crosses the summit :
- coming from Calvaire collar from the north
- coming from Schluchrt collar from the south
3) From Rudlin :
- Ruhlock path
- Rudlin falls
4) From Louchbach collar
5) From Lac Blanc (White lake)
6) From Lac Noir (Black lake)
7) From Lac des Truites
8) From Wettstein collar.
9) The ascent of Gazon du Faing and Tanet
can be combined : Tour of the lakes
1) Chateau Hans
- S face
- SW face
- W face
- Rocks S and E situated
Rock climbing in the zone western from Chateau Hans is forbidden
1) Gazon du Faing farm-inn, 1225 m
88230 Le Valtin tel : 03 29 63 42 44
2) Le Forlet farm-inn
- Lac Blanc
- Lac Noir
- Lac du Forlet
- Etang du Rudlin